People often feel awkward when they are dining out at a friend’s place or at a fancy restaurant just because they lack the basic knowledge of table etiquettes. It’s difficult to pick up these habits overnight or by just looking at someone sitting next to you. Table manners have to be inculcated and practiced.
So, before you get invited to another formal dinner event, make sure you have read our pointers on the following table etiquettes.
1. For starters, wait for your host to invite to the table. Hover around the table for a few seconds just to make sure if you are being directed towards an assigned seat. If not, take a seat while others take theirs. While sitting down, instead of dragging your chair pull it inwards without making a scraping sound.
2. After you are seated, take the napkin from the table immediately and neatly place it onto your lap. Maintain a straight posture and refrain from keeping your elbows on the table.
3. It’s a good idea to play “follow the leader”. Observe your host when he or she gets seated on the table and follow their lead. Do not stare; that is considered impolite. Just occasionally observe your host and try to imbibe their actions – how they serve, eat, etc.
4. Notice the numbers of cutlery placed in front of you. If there are many utensils, then it probably means there will be more than just one meal course. Start your way from the outside and work your way in. in case of doubts, remember to observe your host.
5. Do not start your meal unless everyone else seated on the table have been served food. Nothing will scream bad etiquette as starting your meal way before the other guests have been served. Once you begin, eat at a relaxed and slow pace, enjoying every bit and engaging in occasional conversations.
6. Eat with your mouth closed and try to avoid making any sounds during eating – either with your cutlery on the plate or with your teeth. Do not chew your food with your mouth open. Also, avoid talking when there is food in your mouth.
7. When someone asks for a particular food item to passed, pick up that item and place it next to your neighbour. Don’t reach out to the person from all across the table. Refrain from taking food from the dish before the person who asked for it does. Wait politely for them to help themselves and then request for the dish to be passed back to you.
8. When you finish eating, keep your fork and knife parallel to one another with the fork tines facing downwards. This will indicate to your host that you have finished your meal.
Imbibing these manners is not difficult. With a little practice, you can become adept at following table etiquettes. Practice at home if you may. Remember, good manners reflect good personality.
Browse through online Indian stores to purchase coaster sets, condiment containers, etc. to decorate your dining table for your guests. You can buy condiment containers online in India from Arttdinox.
Also, do share your opinions on this guest post by leaving your comments below.
What Do Business Consultants Do?
Business consultants can be a huge help to your business – or a big expense that doesn’t give you the...
Careers You Can Start Without A 4-Year Degree and Benefits Of A Degree
Among Baby Boomers and members of the Greatest Generation who got to get a college degree, career success and high...
3 Improvements To Add To Your Home
If you are getting a little bored of your home, you should start looking at things that you can do...
Rebuilding Your Life After A Personal Injury Incident
After you have suffered a life-altering experience following a personal injury incident, you will begin the process of rebuilding your...
Best Ways to Improve Your Career
Working on improving yourself is a continuous process. One that chisels you to perfection every time you do it. It...
New to Golfing? 4 Etiquette Tips You Need to Know
Golf is a sport that is governed by some very specific etiquette rules. If you are just taking up golf,...
How to Manage Scoliosis In Adult Period
We always start thinking about our health, and the importance of it, once something goes wrong. When that inevitably happens,...
Simple Ways To Stay Warm This Winter
You shouldn’t have to compromise on style for warmth, which is why we have put together this guide on how...
Staying On Schedule When Traveling With Family
There is a lot of planning that goes into traveling with your family, especially if you are trying to stick...
Do You Need A Lawyer When Filing For Divorce?
Since divorce is a relatively common legal proceeding, some couples opt for a DIY approach. They decide to download the...
Unique First Home Gifts For Your Loved Ones
If one of your loved ones is moving into their first home, we have the perfect gifts for you. Each...
Should Your Business Offer International Shipping?
In today’s world, many businesses have the opportunity to reach a global audience and find new ways to grow. But,...
Why Isn’t Your Company Website Seeing Traffic?
Are you hooked? Do you check your website’s Google Analytics frequently, only to be disappointed every time you see it? ...
Resources and Assistance For The Parents Of Children With Autism
Raising a child with autism can be a challenge. For most neurotypical people (i.e., those who do not have autism),...
How to Improve Your Company Parking Lot Safety For Your Employees
When your workers park in the corporate lot, you want them to feel comfortable and protected. Your staff shouldn’t have...
Tech7 years ago
Creating An e-Commerce Website
Tech7 years ago
Design Template Guidelines For Mobile Apps
Business6 years ago
The Key Types Of Brochure Printing Services
Travel10 years ago
Who Else Wants Also Nfl Hat
General7 years ago
Kobe Bryant With His Unique Nba Jerseys
Tech8 years ago
Why Small Businesses Can't Ignore Mobile Technology
Tech7 years ago
Climb Google Using These Checklists
Health8 years ago
Health Supplements For Sports Activities Nutrition