A Foley catheter is nothing but a flexible tube that medical professionals use for the ailing patients who cannot move or are recommended least movement. It passes through the urethra and into the bladder for drainage of the urine. It is named after Frederic Foley who, in the year 1929, produced the original design. It happens to be one of the most used indwelling urinary catheters.
Mechanism of Foley Catheters
The tube consists of two disjointed lumens or channels running down its length. One lumen that is open at both ends drains the urine into the collection bag. The other one connects to a balloon on the inside tip and has a valve on the outside end.
Sterile water is used to inflate the balloon when it is inside the bladder to prevent from slipping out. Foley catheters are usually manufactured using coated natural latex or silicon. Coatings include silicon elastomer or hydrogelor PTFE. The different materials decide whether the catheter is suitable for a 3 month or 28 day indwelling duration.
You must keep in mind that Foley catheters should only be used when indicated. This is because there is an enhanced risk of catheter associated urinary tract infection and other adverse effects with its usage.
Medical Usages of Foley Catheters
In the emergency department, in-dwelling catheters are mostly used for assisting people who cannot urinate. The primary indications for using a catheter include a number of things like monitoring urine output for critically ill people, managing urination during a surgery, providing relief when there is urinary retention and providing end of life care.
These are primarily used for the situations listed below:
- Foley catheters are mandatory to be used in patients who are under coma
- These are suggested for the patients who are sedated or anaesthetized for the surgery or other medical care
- These are also recommended for patients whose prostrate is enlarged to such an extent that urine flow is cut off from the bladder
- The Foley catheters are also recommended for patients who are suffering from involuntary urination or leakage of urine
- Doctors also recommend these to patients after urethral surgeries and ureterectomy
- The patients who are unable to use urinals or standard toilet facilities due to physical injury are also prescribed Foley catheters
- Patients suffering from urinary retention can also use Foley catheters
- In fact, physicians also recommend the usage of Foley catheters for patients who have undergone genital injury or before and after hysterectomy
- Before and after cesarean section, patients are advised to use Foley catheters
- Foley catheters are also suggested for patients with kidney disease whose urine output must be measured precisely and constantly
- Patients who cannot control their bladder or have fibromyalgia are also prescribed with this
- Patients who have severe skin impairment or breakdown should also use Foley catheters
Now that you have got some idea about the mechanism and usages of Foley catheters, you can go about using it for yourself or your family with greater confidence. The only thing that you need to make sure is to buy a quality 3 way Foley catheter so that there is least chance of infection and the patient is not subjected to any health issue arising from the device.
Can You Use Residential Property for Commercial Use
Having extra income, constantly flowing in can make all the difference in the current economy. Getting creative with how you...
Running a Business? How to Minimize Supply Chain Issues
Supply chain issues have always been an issue for businesses but over the last few years, the effect and widespread...
How to Increase Your House Value Before Selling
Increasing home value is the first step to making your place more attractive for future buyers. Whether you are trying...
Why Calorie Control Is Still The Best Way To Diet
There are a great deal of different options when it comes to dieting, every day there seems to be a...
The Benefits Of Trade Credit Insurance For Your Business
Trade credit insurance provides cover for businesses who trade on a credit basis. If the people who owe money for...
5 Charming Restaurant Decor Ideas In 2022
Making your restaurant memorable and stand out is a feat worthy of praise. The sheer pressure of wanting to succeed...
Bank Won’t Fund Your Business? 4 Loan Alternatives To Get You Started
Businesses typically require some sort of collateral or proof of concept before funding their business venture. However, it is possible...
Planning A Stag Do
If you’re a Best Man then you’re in a unique position of responsibility, and before the day itself when you’ll...
What Triggers Eczema | Tips to Reduce Eczema Flare-Ups
Eczema is a skin condition that can induce redness, itchiness, and skin inflammation. Its root cause is not fully understood,...
Women’s Fashion Trends To Expect In 2022
A new year means new fashion trends. We cannot wait for what is in store in 2022. It seems that...
Home Makeover Trends: Insights from The Pros
Are you considering a home makeover but don’t know where to start? You’re in luck! In this article, we will...
Interior Design Trends 2022
We all spend time pining over other people’s interior’s on Pinterest or Instagram, but with these trends, it’s easy to...
Top Commonly Overlooked Car Maintenance and Repairs
Maintaining a car is a huge responsibility. There’s a lot that goes into that given how complicated a machine it...
What Is The Difference Between Strata and Property Manager
Real estate is a diverse market, and as such, it can be hard to determine the differences between various types...
Sleek Home Upgrades That Will Luxe Up Your Life
Sometimes we need a vast endeavor to make our home look extravagant and cheek but very often you can implement...
Tech7 years ago
Creating An e-Commerce Website
Tech7 years ago
Design Template Guidelines For Mobile Apps
Business6 years ago
The Key Types Of Brochure Printing Services
Business2 years ago
What Is AdsSupply? A Comprehensive Review
Travel10 years ago
Who Else Wants Also Nfl Hat
General7 years ago
Kobe Bryant With His Unique Nba Jerseys
Tech8 years ago
Why Small Businesses Can't Ignore Mobile Technology
Tech7 years ago
Climb Google Using These Checklists