Reference data, which is data retained for referential purposes, is one of the fastest growing data types currently available. In fact, according to SearchStorage, reference data is increasing at a compound annual growth rate of 92 percent. Reference data can include any type of valuable reference information, including surveillance information, medical records, historical documents, images of checks, presentations, emails, contracts and more. Because this type of data is inherently different from traditional data, storage and management strategies must be different as well.
What to keep
Saving all of the reference data a business encounters is a waste of resources, and it makes organization difficult. That being said, experts caution against keeping too little data, since businesses can’t be certain of what the future holds. To determine what reference data to keep, businesses should consider what type of questions they will most likely need to answer in the future. If the business can see any potential use for a given document, it should not be discarded.
How to Store Reference Data
When storing reference data, businesses can choose between cloud storage and in-house data infrastructures. With an in-house data storage system, the business maintains all of its reference data using its own resources. Cloud storage, on the other hand, involves outsourcing data storage and maintenance to a third-party provider and accessing it via the Internet. Both of these options have distinct advantages and disadvantages.
Cloud Storage Pros:
- Cost effectiveness. Cloud storage hosting is considerably less expensive than in-house alternatives. When a business stores reference data in the cloud, it doesn’t need to purchase expensive hardware and software programs, nor does it need to employ a large IT staff to maintain the system.
- Scalability. Cloud storage can be scaled up or down to meet the needs of a business at any given time. This means that the company will pay for only the storage it uses, and the company can alter the amount of space used as needed.
- Reliability. Because a third-party provider manages the cloud storage system, businesses don’t need to worry as much about system failures, especially if the provider offers 24/7 customer service.
In-house Storage Pros:
- Security. Because in-house storage systems don’t typically involve the internet, there are inherent fewer security risks. This can be an especially helpful feature if a business stores sensitive data, such as customer social security numbers or medical information.
- Control. Storing reference data in-house allows the business to have more control over how it is organized and who can access it.
- Protection from loss. When a business stores data in the cloud, the business relies on the cloud storage provider to protect data through regular back-ups and server maintenance. However, when cloud providers go out of business or experience unexpected server failures, important data may be lost. Storing data in-house eliminates this concern.
Because reference data can be so important to a business’s future, companies must store and manage it carefully. To get the most out of reference data, businesses need a clear data collection and maintenance strategy that includes a plan for selecting important reference data, as well as a viable storage and organization system.
The Impact of Covid-19 on Commercial Property
The lives of people all over the world have been completely altered as a result of Covid-19, with businesses struggling...
3 Of The Best Foods and Drinks To Aid Your Sleep
Getting a good night’s sleep is hugely important for your overall health and wellbeing. Studies have shown that having a...
Why You Should Consider Volunteering
Volunteering has many benefits both to you, your community, and your CV. Whether you do it alone, or with a...
Investigating The Important Factors In Legal Software Testing
Fulfilling the digital transformation objectives with QA testing services has become an important phase for all industry verticals. Today, every...
Multiply Your Magento Store’s Sales With Affiliate Program
Are you struggling to boost your sales and expand your customer base due to the significant increase in marketing expenses?...
How COVID-19 Is Changing Plastic Surgery
There’s been changes to practically everything in our everyday lives, including industries such as plastic surgery. With practices having to...
Benefits and Drawbacks Of Getting A Taxi and Renting A Car
If you’re planning a vacation or business trip, you must decide whether or not to rent a car ahead of...
8 Killer Tips to Make Your Portfolio Website Standout
A portfolio website is one of the easiest and most straightforward ways to showcase your work. Although you have a...
3 Reasons You Need A Mobile-Responsive Email Marketing Platform
Repeat after me. Creating email interfaces with mobile-first ethos and UI is key to the success of email marketing campaigns....
Mother and Nature Active Maternity Wear, How It All Started
5 months pregnant and very happy about it, not much to complain about. Everything was going ok (famous last words). ...
How To Make Sure Your Toddler Has A Balanced Diet
As your baby grows into a toddler, they go through a period of intense mental and physical development, as their...
The Top 3 Vitamins and Minerals To Support Your Fitness Goals
You can spend hours in the gym, but without fuelling your body properly, it will be hard to see the...
Best Cities To Invest In Real Estate Across The UK
If you’re looking to invest your money, real estate has historically offered a safe investment with good returns. You gain...
7 Ways You Can Power Your House
In case you are remodeling your home and are considering a more eco-conscious approach, you are probably looking into various...
The Pro’s and Con’s Of Chemical Peels
A chemical peel is a non-surgical cosmetic procedure that resurfaces the skin to give it a refreshed, soft and smooth...
- Tech6 years ago
Creating An e-Commerce Website
- Tech6 years ago
Design Template Guidelines For Mobile Apps
- Business5 years ago
The Key Types Of Brochure Printing Services
- Travel8 years ago
Who Else Wants Also Nfl Hat
- General5 years ago
Kobe Bryant With His Unique Nba Jerseys
- Tech6 years ago
Why Small Businesses Can't Ignore Mobile Technology
- Tech6 years ago
Climb Google Using These Checklists
- Health7 years ago
Health Supplements For Sports Activities Nutrition