Reference data, which is data retained for referential purposes, is one of the fastest growing data types currently available. In fact, according to SearchStorage, reference data is increasing at a compound annual growth rate of 92 percent. Reference data can include any type of valuable reference information, including surveillance information, medical records, historical documents, images of checks, presentations, emails, contracts and more. Because this type of data is inherently different from traditional data, storage and management strategies must be different as well.
What to keep
Saving all of the reference data a business encounters is a waste of resources, and it makes organization difficult. That being said, experts caution against keeping too little data, since businesses can’t be certain of what the future holds. To determine what reference data to keep, businesses should consider what type of questions they will most likely need to answer in the future. If the business can see any potential use for a given document, it should not be discarded.
How to Store Reference Data
When storing reference data, businesses can choose between cloud storage and in-house data infrastructures. With an in-house data storage system, the business maintains all of its reference data using its own resources. Cloud storage, on the other hand, involves outsourcing data storage and maintenance to a third-party provider and accessing it via the Internet. Both of these options have distinct advantages and disadvantages.
Cloud Storage Pros:
- Cost effectiveness. Cloud storage hosting is considerably less expensive than in-house alternatives. When a business stores reference data in the cloud, it doesn’t need to purchase expensive hardware and software programs, nor does it need to employ a large IT staff to maintain the system.
- Scalability. Cloud storage can be scaled up or down to meet the needs of a business at any given time. This means that the company will pay for only the storage it uses, and the company can alter the amount of space used as needed.
- Reliability. Because a third-party provider manages the cloud storage system, businesses don’t need to worry as much about system failures, especially if the provider offers 24/7 customer service.
In-house Storage Pros:
- Security. Because in-house storage systems don’t typically involve the internet, there are inherent fewer security risks. This can be an especially helpful feature if a business stores sensitive data, such as customer social security numbers or medical information.
- Control. Storing reference data in-house allows the business to have more control over how it is organized and who can access it.
- Protection from loss. When a business stores data in the cloud, the business relies on the cloud storage provider to protect data through regular back-ups and server maintenance. However, when cloud providers go out of business or experience unexpected server failures, important data may be lost. Storing data in-house eliminates this concern.
Because reference data can be so important to a business’s future, companies must store and manage it carefully. To get the most out of reference data, businesses need a clear data collection and maintenance strategy that includes a plan for selecting important reference data, as well as a viable storage and organization system.
4 Most Efficient Drainage Systems for Flat Roofs
The matter of drainage is the essential function of your roof. In fact, the very shape of a roof (a...
Google Algorithm Updates to Expect by The End Of 2021
Google’s algorithm updates tend to come with a lot of uncertainty and questions, and getting ahead of them is the...
Cozy Home Office Setup Tips For 2021
Whether you work from home or have set out a place for something you like such as crafting, studying, or...
Garden Party Ideas For Everyone
No one can make “a perfect’’ garden party, but we are all able to throw an amazing one. Of course,...
How To Find Low Competition Long Tail Keywords Using Free Tools
Keywords are the most fundamental and highest ROI activity when it comes to SEM and SEO. Having the right keywords,...
Top Tips For Healthy Family Meals On A Budget
A healthy diet is not very difficult to follow since there is a lot of information available on the Internet...
Tips For Your Morning Skincare Routine
Keeping your skin healthy can come down to numerous things. A healthy diet will be a good start in keeping...
How to Make SEO Work For You and Your Business
The world of search engine optimization has changed a lot, but certain fundamental principles like focusing on target keywords to...
How to Increase Your Vegetable Garden Yield This Year
If you are going thru the effort of planning, planting, caring, and growing your plants, you naturally want to get...
Why Families Benefit From A Family Dentist When Dealing With Oral Health Issues
Oral Health issues can be a source of conflict and stress in families, especially in families with young children. Not...
What Type Of SEO Is Effective?
Every business knows that it takes a huge amount of time and money to maintain a website. However, no one...
4 Reasons to Replace Your Car’s Engine With Performance Parts
Performance parts are the best kind of upgrades you can make to a car. Performance cars have a higher price...
Maximum Power: Update Your Old House For Modern Electrical Needs
An outdated electrical system can wreak havoc on your energy bills and greatly increase your risk of structural damage. If...
Key Techniques To Learn On A First Aid Course
Introduction First aid training is an incredible qualification that can enable one to offer life saving assistance in an emergency....
Best Tips For Managing Your Building and Construction Projects
Building and construction projects consist of many tasks, from job-site duties to office paperwork. Juggling it all can oftentimes be...
Tech6 years ago
Creating An e-Commerce Website
Tech6 years ago
Design Template Guidelines For Mobile Apps
Business6 years ago
The Key Types Of Brochure Printing Services
Travel9 years ago
Who Else Wants Also Nfl Hat
General6 years ago
Kobe Bryant With His Unique Nba Jerseys
Tech7 years ago
Why Small Businesses Can't Ignore Mobile Technology
Tech6 years ago
Climb Google Using These Checklists
Health8 years ago
Health Supplements For Sports Activities Nutrition