Cosplay (コスプレ- costume play) is a subculture of Japan that centers on dressing like characters from Japanese anime (Japanese animation), manga (Japanese comics), video games, and tokusatsu. Costumes are also copied from Japanese fantasy movies or pop music bands. Internationally, the term “cosplay” only means donning the costume of a fictional character and participating in shows. In Japan, however, cosplay has impacted day-to-day life, fashion and even speech, evolving into a subculture of its own.
Popularity of Cosplay in Japan
The Japanese are passionate about anime and manga. Both are a big part of the Japanese culture. The average Japanese individual devotes a significant amount of time daily to follow up on his or her favorite manga publications or anime shows. This passion is not restricted only to only the young; older adults, middle-aged persons, and even elders love to dress up as their favorite characters when they get the chance. Readymade and cheap cosplay costumes are available across Japan in 100-yen stores. Most people get their cosplay costumes made for them using elaborate and expensive fabrics.
Japanese Cosplay Events
- World Cosplay Summit (WCS): This stellar event is held in Nagoya, Japan every year. Several countries participate in the cosplay competition here; each year sees more countries added to the attendee’s list. WCS began in the year 2003. Since then, it has greatly promoted Japanese youth culture among people who like cosplay from different countries. The WCS event is colorful, populated with hundreds of cosplayers showing off their innovative and elaborate costumes.WCS goes on for several days in multiple cities apart from Nagoya. You’ll find WCS events being conducted in Tokyo and Osaka as well. A typical WCS event has stage demonstrations put on by cosplay groups from different nations. There’s also a parade of cosplayers on the streets for public edification. The trend is for the public to take pictures of themselves with their favorite cosplayers.
- Dojinshi Comiket Market Event: The semi-annual Dojinshi Market Comiket event is quite possibly the most famous and the single largest cosplay event conducted in Japan. It takes place once in summers and winters, and attracts thousands of cosplay fans, manga otaku, and visitors. Even during the harshest winter, thousands of cosplayers throng the roof of the building where this event takes place, clad in their colorful costumes.
Evolution of Cosplay beyond Designated Cosplay Events
While designated events such as WCS and Dojinshi Market Comiket offer suitable opportunities to cosplayers to indulge in their passion, Japanese cosplay has literally taken to the streets. Stroll down any busy downtown or shopping markets and you’ll find several people of all ages wandering about in their costumes. In fact, cosplay is so popular in Japan that some people even go mountain climbing while clad in their favorite costumes.
You can see cosplay in action at video game shows, private cosplay parties, and at nightclubs or amusement parks. Tokyo’s Harajuku district is often populated by youngsters engaging in cosplay. A large number of cosplay cafes have cropped up in Tokyo’s Akihabara (秋葉原) district. These cafes cater to dedicated anime and cosplay fans, and stewards and waitresses also dress as their favorite game or anime characters when serving their cosplay patrons.
Cosplay Trends in Japan
- Cosplay Based on Famous Movies: Earlier, costumes from cosplay used to be inspired only by anime and manga characters, but not any longer. A recent trend at Japanese cosplay events is that people are favoring costumes from non-Japanese fantasy and science-fiction movies. This can be attributed to the global success of movies such as Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, The Matrix, and several others. There are several fans of the famous Harry Potter series in Japan, especially among women who don both, male and female costumes from the movie series.
- Crossplay Cosplayers: Men and women who dress as characters belonging to the opposite sex are called “Crossplayers.” Men who don female costumes and women who don male costumes fall into a small niche of cosplayers, called “dollars,” which is a subset of kigurumi cosplayers. Women and men who practice this trend wear bodysuits to conceal their gender when they transform into their favorite characters.
- Costume Blending: Japan is seeing another trend in anime cosplay costumes. Some people tend to blur the distinction between character-based costumes and clothing from existing fashions. Gothic Lolita is a Tokyo teen-fashion trend that’s followed by those who lack the courage to appear in public wearing a full anime or manga costume. The Gothic Lolita trend takes anime costumes and blends them with modern fashion and styles to create a less-alien version of clothing to wear in public.
- Cosplay Nomenclatures: The cosplay evolution has evolved its own naming trends. For example, Japanese cosplayers refer to themselves as “leya-zu.” People who take photographs of cosplayers and collect them are called “cameko,” which is short for “Camera Kozo” or “Camera Boy.”
Impact of Cosplay on Fashion
Japanese anime fashion has inspired numerous Japanese and global fashion designers to come out with fashion shows based on cosplay. They are also inspired by Japanese street wear, which is a blend of cosplay and street fashion. Designers around the world use different materials to come up with the look of Japanese fashion, including hairstyles, accessories and makeup based on fictional characters. Celebrities from around the world pay a lot of attention to Japanese street fashion, which has vastly influenced the way they style their hair and clothing.
Anime and manga are two of the most impactful contributions that Japan has made to the world. People around the world love anime and want to dress as their favorite characters. This has led to the creation of professional anime clothing that sells for a lot. Fashion trends have evolved from cosplay, which has forced even non-anime fans to accept cosplay as a major fashion and cultural trend.
Can You Use Residential Property for Commercial Use
Having extra income, constantly flowing in can make all the difference in the current economy. Getting creative with how you...
Running a Business? How to Minimize Supply Chain Issues
Supply chain issues have always been an issue for businesses but over the last few years, the effect and widespread...
How to Increase Your House Value Before Selling
Increasing home value is the first step to making your place more attractive for future buyers. Whether you are trying...
Why Calorie Control Is Still The Best Way To Diet
There are a great deal of different options when it comes to dieting, every day there seems to be a...
The Benefits Of Trade Credit Insurance For Your Business
Trade credit insurance provides cover for businesses who trade on a credit basis. If the people who owe money for...
5 Charming Restaurant Decor Ideas In 2022
Making your restaurant memorable and stand out is a feat worthy of praise. The sheer pressure of wanting to succeed...
Bank Won’t Fund Your Business? 4 Loan Alternatives To Get You Started
Businesses typically require some sort of collateral or proof of concept before funding their business venture. However, it is possible...
Planning A Stag Do
If you’re a Best Man then you’re in a unique position of responsibility, and before the day itself when you’ll...
What Triggers Eczema | Tips to Reduce Eczema Flare-Ups
Eczema is a skin condition that can induce redness, itchiness, and skin inflammation. Its root cause is not fully understood,...
Women’s Fashion Trends To Expect In 2022
A new year means new fashion trends. We cannot wait for what is in store in 2022. It seems that...
Home Makeover Trends: Insights from The Pros
Are you considering a home makeover but don’t know where to start? You’re in luck! In this article, we will...
Interior Design Trends 2022
We all spend time pining over other people’s interior’s on Pinterest or Instagram, but with these trends, it’s easy to...
Top Commonly Overlooked Car Maintenance and Repairs
Maintaining a car is a huge responsibility. There’s a lot that goes into that given how complicated a machine it...
What Is The Difference Between Strata and Property Manager
Real estate is a diverse market, and as such, it can be hard to determine the differences between various types...
Sleek Home Upgrades That Will Luxe Up Your Life
Sometimes we need a vast endeavor to make our home look extravagant and cheek but very often you can implement...
Tech7 years ago
Creating An e-Commerce Website
Tech7 years ago
Design Template Guidelines For Mobile Apps
Business6 years ago
The Key Types Of Brochure Printing Services
Business2 years ago
What Is AdsSupply? A Comprehensive Review
Travel10 years ago
Who Else Wants Also Nfl Hat
General7 years ago
Kobe Bryant With His Unique Nba Jerseys
Tech8 years ago
Why Small Businesses Can't Ignore Mobile Technology
Tech7 years ago
Climb Google Using These Checklists