When starting a business, one of the main problems that you will have to prepare yourself for is the trouble of collecting debts. As in any other business you need a regular stream of revenue and cash flow to keep the company functioning. Since most small businesses aren’t prepared to survive the troubles which their initial year can bring, it is wise to have a devised strategy for any type of emergency.
A discouraging statistic which should convince you that the previous statement isn’t an extreme one is the fact that eight out of ten businesses fail. The financial aspect is always the most bothersome factor of running a business. While the general rule of thumb is to always have a safety net made out of insurance and smart investments, the great majority of owners fail to implement practical solutions and plan for every possible situation. If you’ve found yourself in a situation where you are simply forced to collect your debt from non-paying clients you will find out how to do it in the best possible manner down below.
Understanding the Customer
Although you are probably aggravated and disappointed with this particular individual, you will have to start by questioning their character and your objectivity. This has nothing to do with empathy, nor am I trying to suggest that you should forget about your hard earned money, but if you are able to observe the situation from their perspective you will definitely gain an insight on how to approach them.
Be advised that your initiative may even have a positive response. If you manage to pull this through in a fashion that will secure both yours and your customer’s satisfaction, that customer will certainly not hesitate to purchase from you in the future as well or refer your business to their friends. We will start by categorizing your non-paying clients in three different sections:
- Clients who intend to pay but are unable due to financial troubles.
- Clients that would rather delay payments.
- Clients with no intent of making a payment at all.
Once you determine what type of a client is your non-paying customer, you can start implementing some of the following strategies. However, be advised that once you’ve reached a conclusion that your customer is purposely avoiding to pay their debt, it would be a smart choice to look for a debt recovery agency and legal help as soon as possible. Hopefully, you have a signed contract in that case.
Collecting Debt: Tactics and Strategies
You will definitely want to try and keep your relationship with this customer intact while insisting on collection of debts. Bear in mind that your professional reputation also has a price.
- Send a formal letter which will serve as a reminder. Don’t procrastinate with this initial step and keep your writing tone formal but friendly. Inform your client that you’ve noticed he/she didn’t come through with the payment and inquire about the status. Send warm regards and underline that you value the business between the two of you.
- Try not to pester people, but keep insisting. For example, it is acceptable that you leave one message on their voice machine per day. Two is excessive. Let them know that you are keeping a clean record and that you are depending on their regular payments.
- Be supportive. If your client is trying to explain his situation you should listen to what he/she has to say and show empathy. If you insist on an aggressive approach you might throw them off and actually delay the process of payment additionally. However, if you manage to come up with a solution by working with that problematic client, you’ve gained a great referral and a customer for life.
- Never get personal, no matter how personal your client gets. Be direct, keep your conversations brief and up to the point, and make sure that your debtor doesn’t feel threatened.
- Send letters through a collection agency, it is always a good idea. If you insist on doing it yourself than know how to do it right. However for an affordable fee an agency will write a series of letters and send them out in your behalf.
- Debt agency will usually agree on 50% cut and pay you right ahead. If the debt remains unpaid for more than six month, this is one of the options that you will have to rely on.
- Settle for a discount should be your last option. However if the cost of pursuing that particular customer is only making the problem bigger, offer a settlement and write off their debt through a mutual release.
Keep your revenue stream consistent, keep a clean record of your clients’ status and react as soon as possible. Procrastination will get you and your business nowhere. As an owner you will have to learn to adapt to stressful situations such as this one is, it is considered as a regular cost of doing business.
Simple Ways To Feel More Confident At The Gym
If you are new to the gym, or you haven’t been in a while, sometimes you might not feel completely...
Can You Use Residential Property for Commercial Use
Having extra income, constantly flowing in can make all the difference in the current economy. Getting creative with how you...
Running a Business? How to Minimize Supply Chain Issues
Supply chain issues have always been an issue for businesses but over the last few years, the effect and widespread...
How to Increase Your House Value Before Selling
Increasing home value is the first step to making your place more attractive for future buyers. Whether you are trying...
Why Calorie Control Is Still The Best Way To Diet
There are a great deal of different options when it comes to dieting, every day there seems to be a...
The Benefits Of Trade Credit Insurance For Your Business
Trade credit insurance provides cover for businesses who trade on a credit basis. If the people who owe money for...
5 Charming Restaurant Decor Ideas In 2022
Making your restaurant memorable and stand out is a feat worthy of praise. The sheer pressure of wanting to succeed...
Bank Won’t Fund Your Business? 4 Loan Alternatives To Get You Started
Businesses typically require some sort of collateral or proof of concept before funding their business venture. However, it is possible...
Planning A Stag Do
If you’re a Best Man then you’re in a unique position of responsibility, and before the day itself when you’ll...
What Triggers Eczema | Tips to Reduce Eczema Flare-Ups
Eczema is a skin condition that can induce redness, itchiness, and skin inflammation. Its root cause is not fully understood,...
Women’s Fashion Trends To Expect In 2022
A new year means new fashion trends. We cannot wait for what is in store in 2022. It seems that...
Home Makeover Trends: Insights from The Pros
Are you considering a home makeover but don’t know where to start? You’re in luck! In this article, we will...
Interior Design Trends 2022
We all spend time pining over other people’s interior’s on Pinterest or Instagram, but with these trends, it’s easy to...
Top Commonly Overlooked Car Maintenance and Repairs
Maintaining a car is a huge responsibility. There’s a lot that goes into that given how complicated a machine it...
What Is The Difference Between Strata and Property Manager
Real estate is a diverse market, and as such, it can be hard to determine the differences between various types...
Tech7 years ago
Creating An e-Commerce Website
Tech7 years ago
Design Template Guidelines For Mobile Apps
Business6 years ago
The Key Types Of Brochure Printing Services
Business2 years ago
What Is AdsSupply? A Comprehensive Review
Travel10 years ago
Who Else Wants Also Nfl Hat
General7 years ago
Kobe Bryant With His Unique Nba Jerseys
Tech8 years ago
Why Small Businesses Can't Ignore Mobile Technology
Tech7 years ago
Climb Google Using These Checklists