For many, car maintenance can be a scary and complicated process that must be left to experienced professionals. The only problem most of us can solve ourselves is moving that pesky gas gauge from “E” to “F”. Thankfully, maintaining important components of your car is easier than you think. Before you take your car to the mechanic or dealership, here are five simple car maintenance tips.
If you’ve been to Jiffy Lube or any other oil change service, the technician will often ask you if you want your air filter replaced. But how do you know if that is even necessary? What does the air filter even do?
Your car’s engine needs an exact mixture of fuel and air in order to run correctly. The air filter prevents dirt and other debris from entering the system and potentially damaging your engine. You should change your air filter out every 12 months or 12,000 miles (whichever comes first), and here is how:
1) Open your car’s hood and locate the black box with metal clips on the side (refer to your owner’s manual for the exact location).
2) Open the casing and remove your filter.
3) Inspect your filter. If you notice a lot of dirt in between the folds, it may be time to replace it.
4) Install a new filter. You can buy an exact replacement for about $10 at any auto parts store.
In any electrical system, fuses represent the weakest connection in a signal’s pathway. If any electrical current generates too much heat, the fuse will melt (or blow) before the wiring does, saving you from a costly rewiring process. You can easily find and replace your car’s fuses yourself:
1) Locate the fuse box. This is usually located near the driver’s seat (refer to the owner’s manual). The fuse box usually provides a diagram of what each fuse is connected to, as well as its respective amperage (e.g., 10 amps, 7.5 amps, etc.).
2) Remove the bad fuse. Some fuse boxes also provide a tool to help you extract bad fuses from the circuit breaker. However, you can just as easily take one out using some needle-nose pliers.
3) Install a new fuse. Just remember you have the right amperage. Fuses are extremely inexpensive, and can be found at most gas stations.
You’ll find few problems more annoying than defective windshield wiper blades. Worn out wiper blades can have several causes: exceedingly dry climates can cause the rubber blades to become brittle or even crack, ice on the windshield can wear down wiper blades, and environmental factors like pollution and UV light can take a toll on your blades. Replacing your blades is a simple process:
1) Identify the blade sizes your car uses. Some car models employ a longer driver’s side wiper blade, and a shorter passenger’s side blade. If you are unsure of the exact sizes, you can consult the owner’s manual or call your local dealer (such as the Los Angeles Honda dealer).
2) Lift the blades as if you were washing the windshield by hand. Pay special attention to how the wiper blades attach to the wiper arms.
3) Attach the new blades. Often, most packaging for new blades contain installation instructions.
Anytime you run an electrical current through two different metals, and that connection is exposed to the air (as with car battery terminals), over time you’ll likely find a buildup of corroded material that can interfere with that connection. This corrosion can actually prevent your car from starting, and drain your battery faster than normal. There are a number of ways to fix this problem:
1) Disconnect the battery and remove the corrosion with a wire brush. This is good for quick fixes, but keep in mind it is only a temporary repair. While you can purchase professional cleaning agents for this job, you can also remove the corrosion effectively with Coca-Cola, or a baking soda solution.
2) Dry off the terminals, then coat them in grease or Vaseline. This will protect them from oxidation and prevent further corrosion.
3) Make sure all components are clean and free of debris before reconnecting your battery, then reattach the power cables.
While changing your own oil is one of the more involved and time-consuming do-it-yourself jobs, it is a very handy skill to develop and can pro-long the life of your engine (should you require a replacement engine, why not consider a used engine). Jiffy Lube says you should change your oil about every 3,000 miles, but if you’re using full-synthetic oil, you can get away with changing it about every 6,000 or so. Before you begin, make sure that your engine is cooled down, as any oil that comes into contact with the hot metal engine block could start a fire. You’ll also need to jack up your car to do this effectively:
1) Locate the oil pan under the car, and unscrew the drain plug. This will allow all the old oil to drain into your oil pan.
2) After screwing the drain plug back into place, go to your engine and remove the old oil filter (this requires an oil filter wrench).
3) Lubricate the new oil filter gasket with new oil, then fill it 2/3 full with new oil.
4) Insert the new oil filter.
5) Using a funnel, fill the engine with new oil. Use the dip-stick to determine that you’ve added the correct amount. Then close everything up.
6) Discard the old oil filter and oil (most gas stations will recycle your old oil for you).
Performing car maintenance yourself is a great way to familiarize yourself with your car. If you find that you have to take your car in to a mechanic’s shop, don’t be afraid to ask questions about ways you can take care of your car in the meantime. Any honest mechanic will be happy to share his knowledge. Plus, the more you know, the more money you can save down the road.
4 Reasons to Replace Your Car’s Engine With Performance Parts
Performance parts are the best kind of upgrades you can make to a car. Performance cars have a higher price...
Maximum Power: Update Your Old House For Modern Electrical Needs
An outdated electrical system can wreak havoc on your energy bills and greatly increase your risk of structural damage. If...
Key Techniques To Learn On A First Aid Course
Introduction First aid training is an incredible qualification that can enable one to offer life saving assistance in an emergency....
Best Tips For Managing Your Building and Construction Projects
Building and construction projects consist of many tasks, from job-site duties to office paperwork. Juggling it all can oftentimes be...
How To Choose The Best Locksmith For The Job
The existence of a locksmith is very crucial for society because they help out countless people on a daily basis....
5 Modern Conservatory Ideas To Create A Serene Escape
Having a serene and relaxing conservatory is the dream, especially in the summer months. Creating an extension of your home...
4 Different Types Of Lifting Equipment For A Construction Site
One of the biggest challenges on a construction site is the problem of lifting heavy materials and tools to a...
5 Tips That Can Help Your Business Flourish
Many, both small and big, businesses were affected by the outbreak of the novel coronavirus, no one was spared. Overnight,...
Why First Aid Training Is Essential For Your Business
Introduction All employers, depending on the establishment, should organize and provide basic appropriate conditions for lunch breaks as well as...
Are You Covered? Tips For Finding Affordable Health Insurance For Your Whole Family
If you are in the market for health insurance, you may be overwhelmed by the many different features and the...
How to Prevent Potential Hazards In A Lab
Unfortunately, lab accidents can happen. When they do, the consequences can be very serious. Some of the most common lab...
How to Extend Your UK Spouse Visa
The UK spouse visa is also known as a UK marriage visa. The UK spouse visa allows married partners of...
How Best Is Automation Helping The Retail Industry to Survive?
“In the post Covid-19 world, the only place cos are willing to invest is in automation. The return on investment...
Best Artificial Intelligence Trends to Watch Out In 2021
Technologies are getting advanced day by day, and according to that, the developers and the mobile app development companies should...
Keeping Your Assets Safe — Crypto Insurance May Soon Become The Norm
Many people all over the world have compared the cryptocurrency market to the wild West, largely because of the fact...
Tech6 years ago
Creating An e-Commerce Website
Tech6 years ago
Design Template Guidelines For Mobile Apps
Business6 years ago
The Key Types Of Brochure Printing Services
Travel9 years ago
Who Else Wants Also Nfl Hat
General6 years ago
Kobe Bryant With His Unique Nba Jerseys
Tech7 years ago
Why Small Businesses Can't Ignore Mobile Technology
Tech6 years ago
Climb Google Using These Checklists
Health7 years ago
Health Supplements For Sports Activities Nutrition