The SEO business is surrounded by myths, self-proclaimed gurus and plenty of misinformation. Whatever you think you understand about the link building process today may not be true tomorrow. That said, if you’re conducting your link building campaign based on old news or what used to work, you could end up doing more damage than good. Here are the most common foul-ups I’ve come across both by do-it-your-selfers and outdated SEOers.
- Starting your link building using anchor text for your most competitive keywords. There might be a time to use them, but certainly not at the beginning of the link building campaign. Your goal is to work towards getting those keywords to come up both by having content relevant to those keywords on your site and by using long tail keyword variations of those terms, which will be much simpler to rank for.
- Reacting to a ranking drop by going nuts building anchor text links for that term. Google is laughing at you. You’ll see your ranking for a term rise first in Bing. Sometimes a drop in ranking in Google occurs at the same time. Be patient. Wait another week or two to see what happens to the ranking. Fluctuations are natural. Google is just waiting for spammers to pound the keyword so they can drop the ranking further. Don’t fall for it.
- Publishing your site’s content on another website. Despite everything written about duplicate content since the Google Panda update, I still see people doing this. Write unique content for other sites – content that good sites will want to share and quit writing junk that is nothing but fluff surrounding your keyword. No self-respecting blogger wants it.
- Building links only to 1 page on the website. Every page on your website is a doorway for visitors to enter. Each one can show up in search and should do so for its own keywords, so why are you building every type of anchor text back link to the home page? It isn’t natural and the search engines know that.
- Building the wrong links. Do not fall in the paid link trap. It may take a lot more work to secure a good link, but a good link from a quality site is better than a paid link which cost you money and will get devalued or land you an unnatural link warning in Google Webmaster Tools.
- Using the same anchor text and too much of it. If there’s anything you can do that will raise a red flag quickly, this is it. Make a list of all the different variations you can use for your keyword. That list should include synonyms, plural and singular forms and additional, descriptive words. Into the mix, throw in “click here,” “visit site” and straight up html links, varying the www and non-www versions of the page.
Have patience. It is far more rewarding to do things slowly and see steady growth than to hurt your website and have to unravel the mess, which could take even more time.
Theresa Happe works with Name Find where you’ll find more business website tips, social media advice, and marketing ideas.
Best Places To Visit In The North Of England
If you live in England, you will know there are many different places to visit for the weekend. There are...
Green Home Improvement Ideas
In a world where environmental concerns are growing, the concept of “green” has gone beyond a trendy catchphrase and is...
How to Host an Unforgettable House-Warming!
The time has finally come. You have moved into your dream pad, and are officially adulting in your very own...
A Guide to Parking Lot Striping
The journey to a well-striped parking lot begins with the right paint. In this brief guide, we’ll unravel the mystery...
Business Tips For Protecting Your Finances During A Recession
In 2023, taking the necessary steps to protect your finances for your business is now more important than ever. The...
Tips For Cleaning Your Trainers
If you’re into your trainers and streetwear, you’re likely to be very conscious of keeping them looking their best! So,...
Branding Trends For Start-Ups in 2023
Branding is incredibly important as it impacts how your business reaches and connects with its target market. If you’re branding...
Avoiding the Wrong Kind of Growth
Growth is vital for any business – some models, like tech start-ups, are built around periods of dramatic, explosive growth...
How To Become A Property Developer
There are several reasons why an individual will want to become a property developer. One of the main reasons for...
What Is The Difference Between Cyber Attacks and Cyber Threats?
If you own a business that uses the cloud to manage workloads, you have probably heard of the terms cyberattack...
3 Types of Marketing Every Small Construction Business Should Do
Construction is a very saturated sector, whether you’re a large or small construction company, so marketing should be at the...
How Relevant Life Insurance Plans Can Future-Proof Your Business
Last year, UK inflation reached the highest level that it had been for decades. The markets became unsteady and nervous...
In a Car Accident? Here’s How to Find a Great Lawyer
If you’ve recently been in a car accident, you know that it can be an overwhelming experience. Not only do...
Considering Therapy? Here’s a Few Common Therapy Techniques Explained
If you’re considering therapy as a means to improve your mental health, you may be curious about the type of...
Top 5 Home Repairs You Should Never DIY
DIY home repairs are all the rage these days. But before you jump on the bandwagon, there are some things...
Tech9 years ago
Creating An e-Commerce Website
Tech9 years ago
Design Template Guidelines For Mobile Apps
Business4 years ago
What Is AdsSupply? A Comprehensive Review
Business8 years ago
The Key Types Of Brochure Printing Services
Law3 years ago
How Can A Divorce Lawyer Help You Get Through Divorce?
Tech6 years ago
When To Send Your Bulk Messages?
Tech3 years ago
5 Link Building Strategies You Can Apply For Local SEO
Travel11 years ago
Who Else Wants Also Nfl Hat