Vacations are a time of fun, games, and relaxation, right? Well, not exactly: holidays are also a time when unpleasantries can (and usually do) happen. Bouts of ill weather and ill health, pickpockets, natural disasters, political unrests, cancelled flights, mislaid luggage, lost passports, and unforeseen expenses are all too real a risk which tourists have to be aware of on the go. But does this mean that you should drop holiday plans and stay at home for safety’s sake? Definitely not: you just need to do is arm yourself with tried-and-tested survival strategies for the worst case vacation scenario.
Mother Earth’s caprices: Natural disasters
Though perhaps not as common as some other holiday unpleasantries, natural disasters are definitely a force to be reckoned with. Still, you can both survive Mother Nature’s fits and save yourself a few spare nerves by following these 3 steps.
1. Stay cool. Should a bout of tempestuous weather, volcano eruption, or quake befall you at your vacation destination, try to keep a level head. Impatience or panic will only make things worse, so do as the locals do: follow safety procedures, stay calm, and keep your belongings at hand.
2. Ring home. In case of natural disasters on the go, don’t forget to ring your family or friends back home to let them know you’re safe as soon as you get the chance.
3. Info is ammo. Check the airline policy for natural disaster situations before buying the fare. It’s probably not the first thing that’ll cross your mind when planning a holiday, but it shouldn’t be the last one either.
Good luck with the system: Political unrests
Trips to exotic destinations are cool, but in the world we live in, many popular destinations are potential hotbeds of political and civil unrest. Here are a few things you can do in case you find yourself caught up in clashes or protests.
1. Stay out of trouble. Don’t get involved in strikes at your destination. You are a foreigner, and as such, you’re an outsider and a potential victim of robbery or assault.
2. Contact the embassy. As soon as you hear about unrests in town, ring the embassy to inquire about evacuation options and safety steps you can take immediately.
3. A one-way ticket out. In case of large-scale unrests on the fly, contact your airline company and ask them about early return and ticket swap options (some companies charge extra fees, but some don’t).
Airport SOS calling: Mislaid or stolen luggage
Millions of bags get lost or mislaid at airports every year, and yours can be the next. Should you wind up stripped of a fresh change of clothes through airport staff’s oversight, try to keep your wits about you – and here’s how.
1. Stay put. Never, ever leave the airport without filing a missing baggage report and claim first. The airline cannot help you unless you tell them you’re in need of assistance.
2. Play nice. Be polite when reporting missing luggage. Panic, impatience, and stress will only cause additional delays – plus, nobody likes to deal with angry tourists.
3. Make ‘em pay. If possible, try to get a compensation for delayed luggage from the airline or airport. It would be a good idea to get the info on airline lost luggage policy before they actually misplace your luggage.
A bout of ill health: Health emergencies on the go
Ill health on the go can by all means be a pain. Don’t let health glitches get the better of you – act right away and remedy even the slightest of problems before they aggravate further.
1. Take the pill. A quick trip to the pharmacy is the best remedy for minor health issues. Ask the pharmacist about available medications for the condition and their side-effects.
2. Doctor’s orders. For more pressing health emergencies, seek treatment at the nearest clinic or ER. Waiting for the problem to go away on its own will only make things worse.
3. Stay safe. Go online and check the list of healthcare crises your travel insurance does (and doesn’t) cover before you show up at the healthcare center. Also, have cash at hand – medical services abroad can be pretty costly.
The nerve-racking red tape ride: Lost passport hassle
Losing your passport is one of the worst things that can happen to you abroad. Don’t give in: stick to the rules and arm yourself with nerves of steel for the red tape.
1. Embassy call. Immediately contact the embassy to inform them that your travel ID is missing, and ask about the steps you need to take to get a replacement passport.
2. Swap it. Filing for a replacement passport is the next step in the missing passport drill. It involves tons of paperwork, but it has to be done if you’re to return home safely.
3. Money talk. If you need to leave country the next day, a handful of cash may just nudge the replacement passport issuance procedure in the right (i.e. speedy) direction.
Bonus tip: Before you embark on the holiday, go over money transfer options online and pick a payment service that offers fixed and lock-in travel exchange rate options to save yourself some cash. Time is money, especially when visiting a country with instable monetary system and shifty conversion rates. Bon voyage, and good luck!
Conveyor Belt Systems: 6 Ways to Improve Efficiency
You might think that conveyor belt systems cannot be improved because of the simplicity of their design. After all, how...
3D Rendering Terminology: Guide For Architects to Communicate With CG Artists
When chipping away at a building representation project, a modeler and a 3D delivering worker for hire need to see...
Learn and Become A Professional DevOps Engineer!
Have you been having a tough time deciding what you want to do when you grow up? Once your school...
Debunking The Common Myths About Cosmetic Surgery
Just a few years back, plastic surgery was thought to be some kind of sorcery or something that existed in...
How to Choose The Right Type Of Flooring For Your New Home
Building a house from scratch can be a tedious and stressful process even though you know you are doing something...
3 Ways To Style An Oversized White Shirt This Summer
If there is one staple item you need ready for your summer wardrobe, it’s an oversized white shirt. They are...
5 Tips For Picking The Perfect Wedding Ring
Your big day is coming up for your wedding day and you set the standards too high with your engagement...
What’s That Thing Called? All You Need to Know About Your Car’s Lift Struts
Imagine you’re out for grocery shopping or a weekend outing with family, and you need to load your shopping or...
10 Places to Explore In Ahmedabad Gujarat India
In the state of Gujarat Ahmedabad or Ahmedabad is a significant region and one of the very prominent city areas...
Men’s Top Fashion Trends To Be Following Spring/Summer 2021
With us all being in lockdown on and off for a year, people are starting to get excited for the...
Find Blog Post Ideas Using Google Keyword Planner
Being a successful blogger means that you have to create captivating and original content that will be helpful to your...
Best Vegan Egg Alternatives For Baking
In recent years there has been a dramatic increase in veganism due to its numerous health benefits. People are much...
7 Smart Storage Solutions For A Small Bathroom
A small bathroom can be such a nuisance. You never have the space you need and everything seems to be...
What Are The Better Ways Of Building Data Lakes? : The Right Way Is Critical
The pattern is the main period that each enterprise needs to be conscious of if they need to generate greater...
Everything You Need to Think About Before The Road Trip
Road trips are perhaps the most flexible vacation format: they can be as long or fast, intense or relaxed, planned...
- Tech6 years ago
Creating An e-Commerce Website
- Tech6 years ago
Design Template Guidelines For Mobile Apps
- Business5 years ago
The Key Types Of Brochure Printing Services
- Travel9 years ago
Who Else Wants Also Nfl Hat
- General6 years ago
Kobe Bryant With His Unique Nba Jerseys
- Tech7 years ago
Why Small Businesses Can't Ignore Mobile Technology
- Tech6 years ago
Climb Google Using These Checklists
- Health7 years ago
Health Supplements For Sports Activities Nutrition