Vacations are a time of fun, games, and relaxation, right? Well, not exactly: holidays are also a time when unpleasantries can (and usually do) happen. Bouts of ill weather and ill health, pickpockets, natural disasters, political unrests, cancelled flights, mislaid luggage, lost passports, and unforeseen expenses are all too real a risk which tourists have to be aware of on the go. But does this mean that you should drop holiday plans and stay at home for safety’s sake? Definitely not: you just need to do is arm yourself with tried-and-tested survival strategies for the worst case vacation scenario.
Mother Earth’s caprices: Natural disasters
Though perhaps not as common as some other holiday unpleasantries, natural disasters are definitely a force to be reckoned with. Still, you can both survive Mother Nature’s fits and save yourself a few spare nerves by following these 3 steps.
1. Stay cool. Should a bout of tempestuous weather, volcano eruption, or quake befall you at your vacation destination, try to keep a level head. Impatience or panic will only make things worse, so do as the locals do: follow safety procedures, stay calm, and keep your belongings at hand.
2. Ring home. In case of natural disasters on the go, don’t forget to ring your family or friends back home to let them know you’re safe as soon as you get the chance.
3. Info is ammo. Check the airline policy for natural disaster situations before buying the fare. It’s probably not the first thing that’ll cross your mind when planning a holiday, but it shouldn’t be the last one either.
Good luck with the system: Political unrests
Trips to exotic destinations are cool, but in the world we live in, many popular destinations are potential hotbeds of political and civil unrest. Here are a few things you can do in case you find yourself caught up in clashes or protests.
1. Stay out of trouble. Don’t get involved in strikes at your destination. You are a foreigner, and as such, you’re an outsider and a potential victim of robbery or assault.
2. Contact the embassy. As soon as you hear about unrests in town, ring the embassy to inquire about evacuation options and safety steps you can take immediately.
3. A one-way ticket out. In case of large-scale unrests on the fly, contact your airline company and ask them about early return and ticket swap options (some companies charge extra fees, but some don’t).
Airport SOS calling: Mislaid or stolen luggage
Millions of bags get lost or mislaid at airports every year, and yours can be the next. Should you wind up stripped of a fresh change of clothes through airport staff’s oversight, try to keep your wits about you – and here’s how.
1. Stay put. Never, ever leave the airport without filing a missing baggage report and claim first. The airline cannot help you unless you tell them you’re in need of assistance.
2. Play nice. Be polite when reporting missing luggage. Panic, impatience, and stress will only cause additional delays – plus, nobody likes to deal with angry tourists.
3. Make ‘em pay. If possible, try to get a compensation for delayed luggage from the airline or airport. It would be a good idea to get the info on airline lost luggage policy before they actually misplace your luggage.
A bout of ill health: Health emergencies on the go
Ill health on the go can by all means be a pain. Don’t let health glitches get the better of you – act right away and remedy even the slightest of problems before they aggravate further.
1. Take the pill. A quick trip to the pharmacy is the best remedy for minor health issues. Ask the pharmacist about available medications for the condition and their side-effects.
2. Doctor’s orders. For more pressing health emergencies, seek treatment at the nearest clinic or ER. Waiting for the problem to go away on its own will only make things worse.
3. Stay safe. Go online and check the list of healthcare crises your travel insurance does (and doesn’t) cover before you show up at the healthcare center. Also, have cash at hand – medical services abroad can be pretty costly.
The nerve-racking red tape ride: Lost passport hassle
Losing your passport is one of the worst things that can happen to you abroad. Don’t give in: stick to the rules and arm yourself with nerves of steel for the red tape.
1. Embassy call. Immediately contact the embassy to inform them that your travel ID is missing, and ask about the steps you need to take to get a replacement passport.
2. Swap it. Filing for a replacement passport is the next step in the missing passport drill. It involves tons of paperwork, but it has to be done if you’re to return home safely.
3. Money talk. If you need to leave country the next day, a handful of cash may just nudge the replacement passport issuance procedure in the right (i.e. speedy) direction.
Bonus tip: Before you embark on the holiday, go over money transfer options online and pick a payment service that offers fixed and lock-in travel exchange rate options to save yourself some cash. Time is money, especially when visiting a country with instable monetary system and shifty conversion rates. Bon voyage, and good luck!
Health Informatics – The Strong Future of Healthcare
“The art of medicine consists of amusing the patient while nature cures the disease.” – Voltaire Check across any industry...
TheWiSpy Best Spyware For Android In 2020
Are you trying to find the ideal mobile phone spyware program for this year? We have the one for you!...
Garden Shed Buying Guide
Are you searching for the best and attractive solution for storing the extra items of the house? Do you also...
6 Most Common Gynaecology Surgeries and Procedures
Have you been advised by your Singapore gynaecologist that to further examine a GYN problem, you need a procedure? You...
3 Keys If You Want to Look Better
Are you generally happy with your look these days? In the event you said no, what steps can you take...
What Can You Do to Strengthen Your Business?
Operating a business means you have a lot of weight on your shoulders to say the least. With that in...
Should You Buy Real Estate At The End Of 2020
Experts analyzed the prospects and possible scenarios for the development of events. Residents of the US are warned about the...
How To Be A Confident Person
Attractive, confident, funny, charismatic. These are some characteristics that define an alpha individual. While we all know what the goal...
Why Do Cats Get Diarrhea?
If you’re a pet owner, then you’ll know that one of the most common problems you need to deal with...
Common Reasons For Visiting An Orthopaedic Surgeon
Have you suffered regular knee or back pain? Do you feel tired or stiff for a long time after resting...
Best Wholesale Beauty Product Suppliers In 2020
Beauty products include a range of goods that are used to care and enhance the appearance of your face, hair,...
Understanding The Benefits and Uses Of Reusable, Washable Breast Pads
Breast pads are every mother’s best friend post the delivery. They’ve been a lifeline for various reasons and from numerous...
Big Things A Digital Marketing Business Conducts
The customary word “ad” is defined as a communication procedure between the group of onlookers and the imminent business moving...
International Shipping In A Global Pandemic
The Covid-19 pandemic completely turned the world on its head, in more ways than one. Beyond the devastating medical challenges,...
8 Ways To Reduce Stoke Risk
Stroke is the fifth leading cause of death in the United States. To help you understand how severe and common...
- Tech5 years ago
Creating An e-Commerce Website
- Tech5 years ago
Design Template Guidelines For Mobile Apps
- Business5 years ago
The Key Types Of Brochure Printing Services
- Travel8 years ago
Who Else Wants Also Nfl Hat
- General5 years ago
Kobe Bryant With His Unique Nba Jerseys
- Tech5 years ago
Climb Google Using These Checklists
- Tech6 years ago
Why Small Businesses Can't Ignore Mobile Technology
- Health7 years ago
Health Supplements For Sports Activities Nutrition