Vacations are a time of fun, games, and relaxation, right? Well, not exactly: holidays are also a time when unpleasantries can (and usually do) happen. Bouts of ill weather and ill health, pickpockets, natural disasters, political unrests, cancelled flights, mislaid luggage, lost passports, and unforeseen expenses are all too real a risk which tourists have to be aware of on the go. But does this mean that you should drop holiday plans and stay at home for safety’s sake? Definitely not: you just need to do is arm yourself with tried-and-tested survival strategies for the worst case vacation scenario.
Mother Earth’s caprices: Natural disasters
Though perhaps not as common as some other holiday unpleasantries, natural disasters are definitely a force to be reckoned with. Still, you can both survive Mother Nature’s fits and save yourself a few spare nerves by following these 3 steps.
1. Stay cool. Should a bout of tempestuous weather, volcano eruption, or quake befall you at your vacation destination, try to keep a level head. Impatience or panic will only make things worse, so do as the locals do: follow safety procedures, stay calm, and keep your belongings at hand.
2. Ring home. In case of natural disasters on the go, don’t forget to ring your family or friends back home to let them know you’re safe as soon as you get the chance.
3. Info is ammo. Check the airline policy for natural disaster situations before buying the fare. It’s probably not the first thing that’ll cross your mind when planning a holiday, but it shouldn’t be the last one either.
Good luck with the system: Political unrests
Trips to exotic destinations are cool, but in the world we live in, many popular destinations are potential hotbeds of political and civil unrest. Here are a few things you can do in case you find yourself caught up in clashes or protests.
1. Stay out of trouble. Don’t get involved in strikes at your destination. You are a foreigner, and as such, you’re an outsider and a potential victim of robbery or assault.
2. Contact the embassy. As soon as you hear about unrests in town, ring the embassy to inquire about evacuation options and safety steps you can take immediately.
3. A one-way ticket out. In case of large-scale unrests on the fly, contact your airline company and ask them about early return and ticket swap options (some companies charge extra fees, but some don’t).
Airport SOS calling: Mislaid or stolen luggage
Millions of bags get lost or mislaid at airports every year, and yours can be the next. Should you wind up stripped of a fresh change of clothes through airport staff’s oversight, try to keep your wits about you – and here’s how.
1. Stay put. Never, ever leave the airport without filing a missing baggage report and claim first. The airline cannot help you unless you tell them you’re in need of assistance.
2. Play nice. Be polite when reporting missing luggage. Panic, impatience, and stress will only cause additional delays – plus, nobody likes to deal with angry tourists.
3. Make ‘em pay. If possible, try to get a compensation for delayed luggage from the airline or airport. It would be a good idea to get the info on airline lost luggage policy before they actually misplace your luggage.
A bout of ill health: Health emergencies on the go
Ill health on the go can by all means be a pain. Don’t let health glitches get the better of you – act right away and remedy even the slightest of problems before they aggravate further.
1. Take the pill. A quick trip to the pharmacy is the best remedy for minor health issues. Ask the pharmacist about available medications for the condition and their side-effects.
2. Doctor’s orders. For more pressing health emergencies, seek treatment at the nearest clinic or ER. Waiting for the problem to go away on its own will only make things worse.
3. Stay safe. Go online and check the list of healthcare crises your travel insurance does (and doesn’t) cover before you show up at the healthcare center. Also, have cash at hand – medical services abroad can be pretty costly.
The nerve-racking red tape ride: Lost passport hassle
Losing your passport is one of the worst things that can happen to you abroad. Don’t give in: stick to the rules and arm yourself with nerves of steel for the red tape.
1. Embassy call. Immediately contact the embassy to inform them that your travel ID is missing, and ask about the steps you need to take to get a replacement passport.
2. Swap it. Filing for a replacement passport is the next step in the missing passport drill. It involves tons of paperwork, but it has to be done if you’re to return home safely.
3. Money talk. If you need to leave country the next day, a handful of cash may just nudge the replacement passport issuance procedure in the right (i.e. speedy) direction.
Bonus tip: Before you embark on the holiday, go over money transfer options online and pick a payment service that offers fixed and lock-in travel exchange rate options to save yourself some cash. Time is money, especially when visiting a country with instable monetary system and shifty conversion rates. Bon voyage, and good luck!
How to Combine Traditional and Modern Furniture With Style
Are you in love with both traditional and modern furniture styles? Do you feel like you can’t decide between those...
How to Organize Your Garage
Do you have so much stuff in your garage, your car is left out in the cold? Keep reading. Your...
Tips On Preventing Accidents In The Workplace and Keep Your Employees Safe
Preventing accidents in the workplace is both the moral and ethical responsibility of every employer. Knowing that there’s a safety...
4 Surprising Ways SaaS Can Be A Game Changer For Small Business
The World Wide Web will never run out of tips and strategies on how to grow your business. These days,...
Understanding SaaS, PaaS, IaaS Prior to Selecting One For Your Business
Summary: Cloud Computing is rising at a faster pace, and it’s crucially important for organizations to move to the Cloud...
5 Tips to Avoid Federal Tax Penalty For Taxpayers
When you are undergoing a tax issue, then it is vital to have knowledge of what are you up against...
Spy App For Android A Tool For Keeping Workplace
Dealing with routine matters has been a lot easier and stress-free thanks to modern technology. Want to order food, use...
How to Create A Backyard Zen Oasis
The lifestyle of the modern era usually depletes one’s energy by the time they get home from work. Whether or...
Mistakes You Need to Avoid When Preparing Your CV
Writing a CV can be hard. You have to somehow condense all your experience into 1 or 2 A4 pages....
Home Decor Trends For 2021: What You Can Expect
This year, the Covid pandemic has had a huge impact on many different industries and sectors and one which has...
5 Ways to Protect Your Teeth This Christmas
Christmas is just around the corner and the preparations are well underway for the festive day, even if it is...
How to Create A Referral Marketing Program In 6 Easy Steps
You may have heard of the benefits of a referral program. Besides helping you attract more traffic to your website,...
5 Important Web Design Considerations to Make For Better SEO
Ever since the birth of search engines, practices in optimising websites for better search rankings have changed considerably. Where it...
4 Reasons For Your Teeth Becoming Sensitive
Having sensitive teeth can be a common issue for many, but it can also be a sign that you have...
How To Keep Your Business Clean & Sanitised
If your business offers any kind of public-facing services, then you will likely be thinking a lot more about the...
- Tech6 years ago
Creating An e-Commerce Website
- Tech6 years ago
Design Template Guidelines For Mobile Apps
- Business5 years ago
The Key Types Of Brochure Printing Services
- Travel9 years ago
Who Else Wants Also Nfl Hat
- General6 years ago
Kobe Bryant With His Unique Nba Jerseys
- Tech7 years ago
Why Small Businesses Can't Ignore Mobile Technology
- Tech6 years ago
Climb Google Using These Checklists
- Health7 years ago
Health Supplements For Sports Activities Nutrition