Vacations are a time of fun, games, and relaxation, right? Well, not exactly: holidays are also a time when unpleasantries can (and usually do) happen. Bouts of ill weather and ill health, pickpockets, natural disasters, political unrests, cancelled flights, mislaid luggage, lost passports, and unforeseen expenses are all too real a risk which tourists have to be aware of on the go. But does this mean that you should drop holiday plans and stay at home for safety’s sake? Definitely not: you just need to do is arm yourself with tried-and-tested survival strategies for the worst case vacation scenario.
Mother Earth’s caprices: Natural disasters
Though perhaps not as common as some other holiday unpleasantries, natural disasters are definitely a force to be reckoned with. Still, you can both survive Mother Nature’s fits and save yourself a few spare nerves by following these 3 steps.
1. Stay cool. Should a bout of tempestuous weather, volcano eruption, or quake befall you at your vacation destination, try to keep a level head. Impatience or panic will only make things worse, so do as the locals do: follow safety procedures, stay calm, and keep your belongings at hand.
2. Ring home. In case of natural disasters on the go, don’t forget to ring your family or friends back home to let them know you’re safe as soon as you get the chance.
3. Info is ammo. Check the airline policy for natural disaster situations before buying the fare. It’s probably not the first thing that’ll cross your mind when planning a holiday, but it shouldn’t be the last one either.
Good luck with the system: Political unrests
Trips to exotic destinations are cool, but in the world we live in, many popular destinations are potential hotbeds of political and civil unrest. Here are a few things you can do in case you find yourself caught up in clashes or protests.
1. Stay out of trouble. Don’t get involved in strikes at your destination. You are a foreigner, and as such, you’re an outsider and a potential victim of robbery or assault.
2. Contact the embassy. As soon as you hear about unrests in town, ring the embassy to inquire about evacuation options and safety steps you can take immediately.
3. A one-way ticket out. In case of large-scale unrests on the fly, contact your airline company and ask them about early return and ticket swap options (some companies charge extra fees, but some don’t).
Airport SOS calling: Mislaid or stolen luggage
Millions of bags get lost or mislaid at airports every year, and yours can be the next. Should you wind up stripped of a fresh change of clothes through airport staff’s oversight, try to keep your wits about you – and here’s how.
1. Stay put. Never, ever leave the airport without filing a missing baggage report and claim first. The airline cannot help you unless you tell them you’re in need of assistance.
2. Play nice. Be polite when reporting missing luggage. Panic, impatience, and stress will only cause additional delays – plus, nobody likes to deal with angry tourists.
3. Make ‘em pay. If possible, try to get a compensation for delayed luggage from the airline or airport. It would be a good idea to get the info on airline lost luggage policy before they actually misplace your luggage.
A bout of ill health: Health emergencies on the go
Ill health on the go can by all means be a pain. Don’t let health glitches get the better of you – act right away and remedy even the slightest of problems before they aggravate further.
1. Take the pill. A quick trip to the pharmacy is the best remedy for minor health issues. Ask the pharmacist about available medications for the condition and their side-effects.
2. Doctor’s orders. For more pressing health emergencies, seek treatment at the nearest clinic or ER. Waiting for the problem to go away on its own will only make things worse.
3. Stay safe. Go online and check the list of healthcare crises your travel insurance does (and doesn’t) cover before you show up at the healthcare center. Also, have cash at hand – medical services abroad can be pretty costly.
The nerve-racking red tape ride: Lost passport hassle
Losing your passport is one of the worst things that can happen to you abroad. Don’t give in: stick to the rules and arm yourself with nerves of steel for the red tape.
1. Embassy call. Immediately contact the embassy to inform them that your travel ID is missing, and ask about the steps you need to take to get a replacement passport.
2. Swap it. Filing for a replacement passport is the next step in the missing passport drill. It involves tons of paperwork, but it has to be done if you’re to return home safely.
3. Money talk. If you need to leave country the next day, a handful of cash may just nudge the replacement passport issuance procedure in the right (i.e. speedy) direction.
Bonus tip: Before you embark on the holiday, go over money transfer options online and pick a payment service that offers fixed and lock-in travel exchange rate options to save yourself some cash. Time is money, especially when visiting a country with instable monetary system and shifty conversion rates. Bon voyage, and good luck!
Manual vs Electric Garage Doors: The Pros and Cons
When you make a forward towards the technology arena, then electronic and tech-based equipment are considered to be of utmost...
What If One Day Google Shuts Down Forever?
Once upon a time, Marshall McLuhan, a Canadian Media Theorist, described the world a “Global Village.’’ To think of it...
7 Simple Steps For Your Home Improvement Project In 2020
Home improvement is astonishing. Home remodeling plays an important role to make your home look more appealing. Changing settings for...
Tips For Selecting Best Pre-settlement Funding Company
Are you trying to find one of the best pre-settlement funding companies, but you are not aware of the factors...
Wish to Ensure Improved Customer Experience? Use the Innovative Salesforce Customer 360 Data Manager
Salesforce, during the latest conference at Connections 2019, announced that it would be launching a service that would be dedicated...
Building Your Website with WordPress Themes: Do’s and Don’ts
Why Opt For WordPress To Build Your Website? The first thing to know is what exactly WordPress development is. It...
Heralding the Next Phase of Advanced AI
With the advancements in tech gaining a new blazing-fast pace, the world has been changing more rapidly than ever in...
What Are the Different Wedding Photography Styles?
In wedding photography, the main focus is on the wedding couple. After all, the whole event revolves around these two...
7 Reasons Why You Need to Hire a Professional for Your Video Marketing Campaign
Benefits of Video Production Companies Did you know that companies using video content experience a 41% increase in traffic through...
Examining 5 Latest Trends in Packing Design
Businesses that don’t carefully plan their packaging design are setting themselves up for failure. All of the trends in packing...
5 Contractors Every Homeowner Should Have on Speed Dial
Being a homeowner or a landlord are particularly responsible tasks. There are many things that can go wrong but these...
How does Blockchain Help to Enhance Security for your Business?
Blockchain technology has been associated with cryptocurrencies for the most part. But it plays such an essential role in cybersecurity...
Comparium : Automated Website Testing Tool
Nowadays, growing an online business is not an easy task due to the higher competitors available in the market. You...
Seven Awesome Family-Friendly Places to Visit This 2020
Family trips should be an annual thing, don’t you agree? It’s during those moments that we make the best memories....
How to choose the perfect tungsten wedding band
Rings are important for every wedding. That’s how they symbolize the promise that people make to stay together forever. You...
- Tech5 years ago
Creating An e-Commerce Website
- Tech5 years ago
Design Template Guidelines For Mobile Apps
- Business4 years ago
The Key Types Of Brochure Printing Services
- Travel8 years ago
Who Else Wants Also Nfl Hat
- General5 years ago
Kobe Bryant With His Unique Nba Jerseys
- Tech5 years ago
Climb Google Using These Checklists
- Tech6 years ago
Why Small Businesses Can't Ignore Mobile Technology
- Health6 years ago
Health Supplements For Sports Activities Nutrition