Foreign education arms you with many things; one of which is the dreaded homesickness. New city life, new culture, different climatic conditions often get to Indian students when they go abroad, leading to feelings of insufficiency, loneliness and depression.
Homesickness is a predictable problem faced by most Indian students going to study abroad at one point or another. It may occur at the beginning of the session or even later during the year of stay. Homesickness will pass. Be patient. Give it at least two weeks. While it is easy to get carried away by these feelings, what is important is to not let it get to you. If you are feeling sad, explain what is happening to your friends. Do not hide in your room; if you do, the homesickness will only worsen. Find your counselor staff with whom you can talk about homesickness or other problems. Homesickness might be made worse by frequent, long telephone calls home. Most homesick students feel more homesick after a call home than they did before they picked up the phone. Try to limit yourself to one call home every week. The sooner you integrate into the university experience, the sooner your homesickness will pass.
Says Robby Valecha, an MBA from Australian catholic university, “I didn’t let such thoughts cross my mind. Studying abroad was a dream and when it really happened, I could not wait to start the journey. I enjoyed my air ride to Australia. Throughout my trip I was in touch with my parents and siblings so it was seldom that I felt homesick. I always called them up whenever anything new happened to me.”
Such should be a student’s approach when setting sail for newer shores believes Tanushree Bhattacharya, head training and development at the Chopras. “The first month in a new campus is the most difficult because you are finding your way around and often there are not a lot of people to assist you do that. However, it is important for you to be strong and know that you are here for a purpose and these are just very small things which can be tackled easily by mingling with new people, exploring the new city/campus,” she says.
Aditya Goel, a student at the Nottingham Trent University, has a similar story to share. He says, “I was excited and confident during the initial weeks in my new campus. The foremost concerns were, whether I’ll meet some students from my native country and whether it will be easy to communicate with the local students and lecturers out there. I only feel homesick when I have nothing to do and I have no one around. Otherwise, being homesick is very rare.” He found it easy to acclimatize to the new culture. “I communicated with other students in a good manner and I also got involved in every social meeting conducted. These things ensured that I could meet as many students as possible and make new friends.”
It’s important to not miss the orientation week, adds Bhattacharya. “The orientation week familiarizes students with the campus and the new city and creates awareness about the key people and numbers that a student shall need during their stay in the college. Also, many universities have mentoring programmes, where they assign a mentor (preferably) of the same nationality to Freshers who take care of the new students and provide any handholding that is required,” she says.
We know it sounds easier said than done. But in any case trying and helping yourself is better than wallowing in grief. Therefore, here are five tips to handle homesickness:
1) Don’t miss the orientation week. Universities start with the orientation week, a week or two before the session begins in the university. During the orientation, the university students, seniors and volunteers takes you around the campus and familiarize you with points of contact for various things you would need at the university.
2) Parents must not accompany students to their study destination. Parents must not accompany their wards to the university. Often parents escort their children for a week or 10 days when their wards move to a new place. It is not advised because then wards will rush to their parents after college without making an effort to spend time with other students or on campus and might miss out on the initial days of camaraderie on campus. They might find it difficult to fit in later. Plus, it gets harder for students to say good bye to their parents once the session starts. They may show withdrawal symptoms after the parents leave.
3) Get a circle of friends. Remember that you are not the only one who is alone on campus. There are many more international students who have left their families behind. Befriend as many people as possible. Your strategy should be such that it is better to be homesick in a group than be homesick alone.
4) Make use of technology. Skype, Facebook has made communication really cheap and real time for many students studying abroad. Earlier these apps were limited to usage on laptops and PC; now with the popularity of smartphones, almost everyone has these apps downloaded and installed on their phones. This gives you the benefit of being on the move and still being in touch with your family and friends. With either Wi-Fi or 3g/4g data plans on your phone, you don’t have to burn a hole in your pocket.
5) Join clubs. Abroad, it is believed that Indian students remain with their own group, don’t make friends and don’t participate in activities on campus. This is just an impression Indians leave about them and is not entirely true. Understand that you have opportunities which many of your friends don’t. So, make the most of your time at the university by participating in clubs and sports. This will keep your mind engaged and you will have no time to feel homesick.
Harleen is a voracious reader and loves fiction. She’s also a Marvel, Japanese Anime and Manga geek. Given a choice she would spend her life tucked away in the serenity of the English countryside.
What Are the Different Wedding Photography Styles?
In wedding photography, the main focus is on the wedding couple. After all, the whole event revolves around these two...
7 Reasons Why You Need to Hire a Professional for Your Video Marketing Campaign
Benefits of Video Production Companies Did you know that companies using video content experience a 41% increase in traffic through...
Examining 5 Latest Trends in Packing Design
Businesses that don’t carefully plan their packaging design are setting themselves up for failure. All of the trends in packing...
5 Contractors Every Homeowner Should Have on Speed Dial
Being a homeowner or a landlord are particularly responsible tasks. There are many things that can go wrong but these...
How does Blockchain Help to Enhance Security for your Business?
Blockchain technology has been associated with cryptocurrencies for the most part. But it plays such an essential role in cybersecurity...
Comparium : Automated Website Testing Tool
Nowadays, growing an online business is not an easy task due to the higher competitors available in the market. You...
Seven Awesome Family-Friendly Places to Visit This 2020
Family trips should be an annual thing, don’t you agree? It’s during those moments that we make the best memories....
How to choose the perfect tungsten wedding band
Rings are important for every wedding. That’s how they symbolize the promise that people make to stay together forever. You...
10 Basic Sketching Techniques For Beginners
Lacking the gravitas as that of oil paints, pencil may not seem a showy artistic medium to many. However, if...
2020 CRM Brings Must-Have Trends for Retailers
There is no end to customer’s expectations. If you are already providing a premium product, they will expect from you...
FitGirl: Games for Re-repacking
So after you have a game’s introduction documents, you have numerous different parts that everyone probably won’t need. You’ll have...
Hоw tо Kеер Antѕ Out оf Yоur Kitсhеn
Dо уоu hаvе аntѕ in уоur kitсhеn? Antѕ аrе thе #1 Pеѕt in thе Australia ассоrding tо multiрlе ѕurvеуѕ. And...
Benefits of using mobile apps in your business organization
As we know the technology sector is at its peak this time, they are coming up with so many advancements...
7 Ways to Make UX Shine in 2020
UX is a crucial component of modern web design, and users’ expectations are constantly shifting. Though we cannot see into...
Now Selling Services Is Super Easy From Your WordPress Website
If you are in a profession that sells any sort of services offline, then this article can be really beneficial...
- Tech5 years ago
Creating An e-Commerce Website
- Tech5 years ago
Design Template Guidelines For Mobile Apps
- Business4 years ago
The Key Types Of Brochure Printing Services
- Travel8 years ago
Who Else Wants Also Nfl Hat
- General5 years ago
Kobe Bryant With His Unique Nba Jerseys
- Tech5 years ago
Climb Google Using These Checklists
- Tech6 years ago
Why Small Businesses Can't Ignore Mobile Technology
- Health6 years ago
Health Supplements For Sports Activities Nutrition