The winter season can be rough on your car, and because of this it is extremely important to prepare your vehicle for the harsh weather. Especially during the months of December and January, there can be some very dangerous conditions that you should anticipate and prepare for to ensure your safety. Cold winds, rain and snow are very taxing on the endurance of a vehicle, but do not fret. Take a look at these tips to help you survive those cold winter months problem-free.
1. Since cold weather can be very draining for your car battery, make sure it gets checked to ensure that it is performing correctly. Nothing is worse than being stuck somewhere in the cold with a car that won’t start, especially in rural areas. It might be a good idea to buy a battery charger just to have in your vehicle for emergency situations.
2. Tires are the second most important parts to look at. Especially if you live somewhere that has potential for a lot of icy roads, you will want to make sure that your tire pressure and thread depth are top notch. Being able to rely on your tires is a big deal, and during the harsher winter conditions it can be much more hazardous to you and other drivers if your tires are unreliable.
3. Having a solid, functioning pair of breaks is another thing to look for before the weather turns too cold outside. Wet and icy roads require much more caution to drive on, and you may need to stop suddenly at unexpected times. Good breaks on your car may reduce skidding and sliding, but you still need to drive very carefully.
4. Much like other times of the year, preparing your car for winter should also include getting an oil change if needed. This contributes to the overall well being of your vehicle while preparing for winter. Along with this, be sure to look at your oil filter as well. Having bad oil during the cold season can present the potential for serious issues.
5. Allow some time to test out the windshield wipers, heating system and defrosting features of your car. These are also very important to take note of, and because of the low temperatures and precipitation you will want to know you have all of these functions working properly to guarantee you will travel safely.
6. Headlights and break lights are without a doubt used more often during the winter. Not only are the days much shorter, but also nasty storm weather can really darken the streets of any city or town. The lights on your car are one of the most important ways of communicating to other drivers that you are out there. Sometimes the weather can be so thick that your headlights are the only indicator that you are on the road. When testing your lights, have someone stand at the back of your vehicle to tell you if your break lights are functioning properly.
7. If it has been a couple years since you last tended to your anti-freeze system, it’s essential to do a thorough flushing of that system. After it’s been cleaned out, add new anti-freeze and you should be good to go.
8. If you have a feeling that something is off with your car, but you don’t know what, it may be wise to take it into the auto repair shop for a tune up and check-up. This may end up saving you both time and money in the long run, and it is always best to prepare for the worst when it comes to driving in the winter season.
Written by Marc Laferierre, owner of Dents Unlimited. Dents Unlimited is a full service auto repair shop in Columbia, MO
Elevating Your Writing Skills With These Simple Steps
Writing skills are an essential part of communication and is not something that naturally comes from within. You have to...
When to Replace Your Car’s Tires and How to See The Warning Signs
Trying to get by with tires that may be long past their prime can lead to many problems. Worn tires...
4 Reasons Why Your Small Business Should Hire An SEO Company
Starting a small business is a very noble endeavor. It takes a lot of courage to step away from the...
What Effects Would Artificial Intelligence Have on the Future of Digital Marketing?
In the past few years, the wave of technology has drastically transformed digital marketing. From connecting with people to working...
Best Affiliate Marketing Software Of 2021
The best affiliate marketing software makes earning advertising revenue from your website quick and convenient. The next challenge is to...
When Is It Time For You to Declare Bankruptcy?
If you’ve reached a point where you can no longer pay your debts, you need to file for bankruptcy protection....
Paying More For The Same Flawed Healthcare Insurance
Chances are, you are paying more for your health insurance this year than last year. You may well wonder, why...
Conveyor Belt Systems: 6 Ways to Improve Efficiency
You might think that conveyor belt systems cannot be improved because of the simplicity of their design. After all, how...
3D Rendering Terminology: Guide For Architects to Communicate With CG Artists
When chipping away at a building representation project, a modeler and a 3D delivering worker for hire need to see...
Learn and Become A Professional DevOps Engineer!
Have you been having a tough time deciding what you want to do when you grow up? Once your school...
Debunking The Common Myths About Cosmetic Surgery
Just a few years back, plastic surgery was thought to be some kind of sorcery or something that existed in...
How to Choose The Right Type Of Flooring For Your New Home
Building a house from scratch can be a tedious and stressful process even though you know you are doing something...
3 Ways To Style An Oversized White Shirt This Summer
If there is one staple item you need ready for your summer wardrobe, it’s an oversized white shirt. They are...
5 Tips For Picking The Perfect Wedding Ring
Your big day is coming up for your wedding day and you set the standards too high with your engagement...
What’s That Thing Called? All You Need to Know About Your Car’s Lift Struts
Imagine you’re out for grocery shopping or a weekend outing with family, and you need to load your shopping or...
Tech6 years ago
Creating An e-Commerce Website
Tech6 years ago
Design Template Guidelines For Mobile Apps
Business5 years ago
The Key Types Of Brochure Printing Services
Travel9 years ago
Who Else Wants Also Nfl Hat
General6 years ago
Kobe Bryant With His Unique Nba Jerseys
Tech7 years ago
Why Small Businesses Can't Ignore Mobile Technology
Tech6 years ago
Climb Google Using These Checklists
Health7 years ago
Health Supplements For Sports Activities Nutrition