The idea of GP property sale and leaseback programs is one that never fails to split this particular professional community right down the middle. Understandably, there will always be those for whom the idea of selling the property they have worked so hard to build into a successful business is somewhat unthinkable to say the least. For others, however, the clear advantages and benefits of relinquishing ownership responsibilities outweigh the positives of remaining the primary property owner.
It’s a debate with plenty of weight on both sides of the argument, but there has nonetheless be a dramatic spike in the number of GP property owners actively looking into sale and leaseback schemes over recent years. GP surveyors are being brought in to offer advice up and down the country, as the idea of selling the property to an investor and leasing it back over a fixed period gathers momentum like never before.
Which of course begs the obvious question – why?
Well, in many instances, it is simply a case of the property owner in question having decided to make advance plans for their intended retirement date. Not only this, but the idea of being able to release what could prove to be a quite sizeable chunk of equity has the potential to be appealing for an endless number of reasons. Whichever side of the fence you happen to be on, there are certainly several key advantages to sale and leaseback programs that cannot be denied.
The Benefits of Sale and Leaseback
It is often (and understandably) looked at as something of an extreme strategy, but the benefits of sale and leaseback programs are always worth considering. Just a few examples of the reasons why more GP property owners than ever before are considering these kinds of agreements include the following:
- Sale and leaseback enables the owner of the property to release what could be extraordinary amount of equity, which is otherwise tied-up in property. If a sizable sum of cash is needed for any purpose whatsoever, sale and leaseback can be an excellent way of accessing it without delay.
- While the GP entering into the sale and leaseback deal will be required to pay rent to the new owner of the property, this liability is covered by the rent reimbursed to the practice by NHS England. As a result, operational costs are kept to an absolute minimum.
- Many of the difficulties synonymous with attempting to attract partners into a GP practice can be overcome by entering into a sale and leaseback agreement. The reason being that while many prospective GP partners may be unwilling (or unable) to buy into the business as a partner when this involves the purchase of a share of the partnership premises. Entering into a GP business when the property is leased is much simpler, less onerous and as a result, often more attractive.
- Given the fact that the change in ownership represents nothing more than a contractual matter, the GP practice itself can continue operating without any disruption whatsoever. Quality of patient care is not affected and there will usually be no detectable changes whatsoever to the way in which the practice is run.
- Another highly significant selling point of the sale and leaseback program is the way in which it can immediately relinquishes the GP property owner of a great many responsibilities. While in ownership of a GP property, it comes down to the owner to take charge of maintenance, repairs and any essential work that might need to be done at a potentially extensive cost. Under a sale and leaseback scheme, all such responsibilities can be transferred to the new owner.
- Planning for retirement can also be made significantly easier by considering a sale and leaseback option. Too many GP property owners leave things right until the last moment before they consider how to realise their equity in the practice premises. When these matters are not dealt with at the optimum time, trying to resolve such issues subsequently can prove to be problematic. Sale and leaseback is one way of securing the full and fair market value for the surgery. By selling the freehold interest in the property and leasing it back until the day you retire and you walk away with no loose ends to tie whatsoever.
- There are also tax implications to take into account as well, as to enter into a sale and leaseback scheme is usually taxed much less severely than would be the case if the property had been sold outright to a conventional buyer.
As can clearly be seen, it is a prospect with a great many positives and plus points to consider. Those interested in sale and leaseback programs or simply looking for a little clarification should contact a reputable and experienced GP surveyor for independent advice and guidance.
4 Most Efficient Drainage Systems for Flat Roofs
The matter of drainage is the essential function of your roof. In fact, the very shape of a roof (a...
Google Algorithm Updates to Expect by The End Of 2021
Google’s algorithm updates tend to come with a lot of uncertainty and questions, and getting ahead of them is the...
Cozy Home Office Setup Tips For 2021
Whether you work from home or have set out a place for something you like such as crafting, studying, or...
Garden Party Ideas For Everyone
No one can make “a perfect’’ garden party, but we are all able to throw an amazing one. Of course,...
How To Find Low Competition Long Tail Keywords Using Free Tools
Keywords are the most fundamental and highest ROI activity when it comes to SEM and SEO. Having the right keywords,...
Top Tips For Healthy Family Meals On A Budget
A healthy diet is not very difficult to follow since there is a lot of information available on the Internet...
Tips For Your Morning Skincare Routine
Keeping your skin healthy can come down to numerous things. A healthy diet will be a good start in keeping...
How to Make SEO Work For You and Your Business
The world of search engine optimization has changed a lot, but certain fundamental principles like focusing on target keywords to...
How to Increase Your Vegetable Garden Yield This Year
If you are going thru the effort of planning, planting, caring, and growing your plants, you naturally want to get...
Why Families Benefit From A Family Dentist When Dealing With Oral Health Issues
Oral Health issues can be a source of conflict and stress in families, especially in families with young children. Not...
What Type Of SEO Is Effective?
Every business knows that it takes a huge amount of time and money to maintain a website. However, no one...
4 Reasons to Replace Your Car’s Engine With Performance Parts
Performance parts are the best kind of upgrades you can make to a car. Performance cars have a higher price...
Maximum Power: Update Your Old House For Modern Electrical Needs
An outdated electrical system can wreak havoc on your energy bills and greatly increase your risk of structural damage. If...
Key Techniques To Learn On A First Aid Course
Introduction First aid training is an incredible qualification that can enable one to offer life saving assistance in an emergency....
Best Tips For Managing Your Building and Construction Projects
Building and construction projects consist of many tasks, from job-site duties to office paperwork. Juggling it all can oftentimes be...
Tech6 years ago
Creating An e-Commerce Website
Tech6 years ago
Design Template Guidelines For Mobile Apps
Business6 years ago
The Key Types Of Brochure Printing Services
Travel9 years ago
Who Else Wants Also Nfl Hat
General6 years ago
Kobe Bryant With His Unique Nba Jerseys
Tech7 years ago
Why Small Businesses Can't Ignore Mobile Technology
Tech6 years ago
Climb Google Using These Checklists
Health8 years ago
Health Supplements For Sports Activities Nutrition