Each year Australians generate a million tons of junk, with the majority of junk coming from large cities like Sydney and Melbourne. This is one reason why the rubbish removal business in cities like Sydney is big. You can start a removal business with just a simple pickup truck and a few ads posted online. However, if you want to be successful in this industry it is imperative that you treat this business like any other profession.
Start with market research
Before you get into any type of business it is imperative that you do some market research. Research the garbage disposal market with the following considerations:
- Find out how well competitors who have been in business far longer than you have are doing. How does their pricing work, their service cater to people and how the money is made? It is also important that you understand that because the barrier to entry is low there are new junk removal businesses opening shop almost every day offering rock bottom rates.
- You need to estimate the pricing in comparison to what profit margins you can expect when dealing with different types of waste. Some may also need to pay the dump a visit while others may have to deal with charities and scrap dealers.
- Take into account federal regulations, state laws and local fees associated with disposing of hazardous waste.
- You will also need to take seasonality into the whole planning phase. The busiest months are summer and spring in this industry. So, these will arguably be your busiest seasons but things will die down later on in winter and fall.
- You need to put a business plan together.
Business launching details
Once you have decided to move on with the new business the very next important step is to register your business’s name and then purchase a business license. Once you have these formalities taken care of you can officially start operating a checking account at a bank near you. It is very important that you start from the very beginning by filing the right paperwork which is generated by your enterprise which includes receipts, invoices, checks etc.
Keeping all the fees in mind
There are a number of fees you will need to pay when in the rubbish removal industry. Below is a breakdown of just where you will need to pay and why:
- Landfill and Recycling center fees: You will be charged a fee for dropping off a number of items. For instance, you may have a recycling center in your area that only takes in old paint for a certain fee, then other materials like mattresses, computers, and box springs will need to be sent over to another center.
- Restricted Items: There are some restricted items which you may not be able to legally dispose of. You need to have a list of these restricted items which you should refuse. These usually include old paint, asbestos, solvents and other similar chemicals.
- Residual revenue from all the junk: You need to be aware of the fact that the pricing on some of the items you pick up is going to be more competitive especially if there is obvious value associated with the junk in question. For instance, scrap metal is one of the most competitive items because it generates a lot of income.
Then there are items like dryers, washers, stoves, dishwashers, refrigerators, air conditioners, hot water heaters, scrap metal, meta shelving etc., which can generate a substantial income for the savvy junk removal specialist. Also a lot of the scrap old appliances can be resold once they have been sorted. So, you need to do due diligence to fully understand the true value of what types of garbage you are picking up and understand what the competitors are offering before you get into the business.
Rubbish removal businesses in Sydney tend to be a dime a dozen. If you’re getting into this industry you need to be aware of everything that is going on. Study the market and how competitors are making money, also how much money are they making? Can you make more money doing something else? These are things you need to consider prior to jumping in.
License: Creative Commons
Mark has been in the recycling and rubbish removal industry for over two decades. He currently runs his own garbage disposal and pickup service in Sydney.
Your Basic Guide To Creating A Unique Investment Blog
Starting your own blog is great and once you get the ball rolling, it can be a good passive income...
3 Low-Risk Ways To Get Your New Business Started
Once you’ve got an initial business idea and believe that it will be a success, there are some basic things...
Conquering the Co-free Zone: Tips for Thriving as a Remote Worker
Adjusting to an office environment can come with its downfalls in the sense that it might be a shock to...
3 Ways To Take Control Of Your Finances Starting Now
If your finances have taken over and are bringing stress to your life, we understand just how overwhelming it can...
Best Places To Visit In The North Of England
If you live in England, you will know there are many different places to visit for the weekend. There are...
Green Home Improvement Ideas
In a world where environmental concerns are growing, the concept of “green” has gone beyond a trendy catchphrase and is...
How to Host an Unforgettable House-Warming!
The time has finally come. You have moved into your dream pad, and are officially adulting in your very own...
A Guide to Parking Lot Striping
The journey to a well-striped parking lot begins with the right paint. In this brief guide, we’ll unravel the mystery...
Business Tips For Protecting Your Finances During A Recession
In 2023, taking the necessary steps to protect your finances for your business is now more important than ever. The...
Tips For Cleaning Your Trainers
If you’re into your trainers and streetwear, you’re likely to be very conscious of keeping them looking their best! So,...
Branding Trends For Start-Ups in 2023
Branding is incredibly important as it impacts how your business reaches and connects with its target market. If you’re branding...
Avoiding the Wrong Kind of Growth
Growth is vital for any business – some models, like tech start-ups, are built around periods of dramatic, explosive growth...
How To Become A Property Developer
There are several reasons why an individual will want to become a property developer. One of the main reasons for...
What Is The Difference Between Cyber Attacks and Cyber Threats?
If you own a business that uses the cloud to manage workloads, you have probably heard of the terms cyberattack...
3 Types of Marketing Every Small Construction Business Should Do
Construction is a very saturated sector, whether you’re a large or small construction company, so marketing should be at the...
Tech9 years ago
Creating An e-Commerce Website
Tech9 years ago
Design Template Guidelines For Mobile Apps
Business4 years ago
What Is AdsSupply? A Comprehensive Review
Business8 years ago
The Key Types Of Brochure Printing Services
Law3 years ago
How Can A Divorce Lawyer Help You Get Through Divorce?
Tech6 years ago
When To Send Your Bulk Messages?
Tech3 years ago
5 Link Building Strategies You Can Apply For Local SEO
Travel12 years ago
Who Else Wants Also Nfl Hat