As your baby grows into a toddler, they go through a period of intense mental and physical development, as their body prepares for the challenge of walking and talking. A balanced diet is essential to ensure that they have a healthy development, but a toddler’s balanced diet is much different from ours. Their nutritional needs are very different and when planning meals and snacks for your toddler, these needs need to be considered.
Sugar and Salt
Toddlers should have less than 2g of salt per day, which is around ⅓rd of the recommended daily allowance for adults. If you are preparing food for your toddler yourself, then it is important to not add any salt and be aware that some foods are not suitable to give to toddlers, because they are already high in salt and sugar. To show how food should be considered, 2 digestive biscuits contain 1/5th of your toddler’s daily salt allowance. Foods which have natural sugars, such as milk, fruits and vegetables are fine to give to toddlers, but you should avoid foods which have added sugar.
It is important to remember that toddlers have smaller stomachs than adults – on average, a toddler’s stomach is around 5 times smaller than an adult’s. Your toddler’s diet should consist of small amount of nutrient and energy rich foods during the day. To make sure that your little one is getting the right balance of energy and nutrients, you should try and give your toddler 3 small balanced meals a day as well as a couple of regular snacks in-between meals.
Messy mealtimes are to be expected with toddlers, and it can be tempting to give them larger portions if they’re prone to throwing their food around! Instead of doing this and creating food waste and risking giving your toddler portions which are too big, look at protective weaning bibs and toddler suitable plates and cutlery instead.
What Is A Balanced Diet For A Toddler?
A toddler’s balanced diet should ideally be made up of a combination of:
- Starchy Foods. Things such as bread, rice, pasta and potatoes. Aim to offer starchy foods at every meal and offer as a snack too.
- Fruit and vegetables. Try to give your toddler a wide variety of different fruits and vegetables so that they are enjoying a range of different nutrients.
- Milk, cheese and yoghurt. Milk should be part of your toddlers daily diet, but be sure to include other dairy products too to increase their calcium intake.
- Meat, fish or alternatives. It is important to provide your toddler with the protein they need and you should look to give them two portions of protein per day, whether it is in the form of salmon, chicken, pulses or vegan/vegetarian alternatives.
Foods To Avoid
When it comes to balanced diets for toddlers, there are some foods you need to pay extra attention to when preparing or avoid altogether.
- Salt should be avoided as much as possible, so keep it to a minimum when cooking foods and use herbs and spices to season foods instead.
- Avoid foods which contain artificial sweeteners, flavourings and colourings. These aren’t allowed to be added to manufactured foods for babies and toddlers, but they are often present in foods for adults.
- Eggs and shellfish can cause food poisoning if not cooked correctly and are common allergens, so should be approached with caution. Nuts are also an excellent source of nutrients, but they are also a common allergen. If you have a family history of these allergies, then approach these foods with caution and seek your doctor’s advice. You might want to avoid them until after your little one is over 3 years old.
Elevating Your Writing Skills With These Simple Steps
Writing skills are an essential part of communication and is not something that naturally comes from within. You have to...
When to Replace Your Car’s Tires and How to See The Warning Signs
Trying to get by with tires that may be long past their prime can lead to many problems. Worn tires...
4 Reasons Why Your Small Business Should Hire An SEO Company
Starting a small business is a very noble endeavor. It takes a lot of courage to step away from the...
What Effects Would Artificial Intelligence Have on the Future of Digital Marketing?
In the past few years, the wave of technology has drastically transformed digital marketing. From connecting with people to working...
Best Affiliate Marketing Software Of 2021
The best affiliate marketing software makes earning advertising revenue from your website quick and convenient. The next challenge is to...
When Is It Time For You to Declare Bankruptcy?
If you’ve reached a point where you can no longer pay your debts, you need to file for bankruptcy protection....
Paying More For The Same Flawed Healthcare Insurance
Chances are, you are paying more for your health insurance this year than last year. You may well wonder, why...
Conveyor Belt Systems: 6 Ways to Improve Efficiency
You might think that conveyor belt systems cannot be improved because of the simplicity of their design. After all, how...
3D Rendering Terminology: Guide For Architects to Communicate With CG Artists
When chipping away at a building representation project, a modeler and a 3D delivering worker for hire need to see...
Learn and Become A Professional DevOps Engineer!
Have you been having a tough time deciding what you want to do when you grow up? Once your school...
Debunking The Common Myths About Cosmetic Surgery
Just a few years back, plastic surgery was thought to be some kind of sorcery or something that existed in...
How to Choose The Right Type Of Flooring For Your New Home
Building a house from scratch can be a tedious and stressful process even though you know you are doing something...
3 Ways To Style An Oversized White Shirt This Summer
If there is one staple item you need ready for your summer wardrobe, it’s an oversized white shirt. They are...
5 Tips For Picking The Perfect Wedding Ring
Your big day is coming up for your wedding day and you set the standards too high with your engagement...
What’s That Thing Called? All You Need to Know About Your Car’s Lift Struts
Imagine you’re out for grocery shopping or a weekend outing with family, and you need to load your shopping or...
Tech6 years ago
Creating An e-Commerce Website
Tech6 years ago
Design Template Guidelines For Mobile Apps
Business5 years ago
The Key Types Of Brochure Printing Services
Travel9 years ago
Who Else Wants Also Nfl Hat
General6 years ago
Kobe Bryant With His Unique Nba Jerseys
Tech7 years ago
Why Small Businesses Can't Ignore Mobile Technology
Tech6 years ago
Climb Google Using These Checklists
Health7 years ago
Health Supplements For Sports Activities Nutrition