How To Make Sure Your Toddler Has A Balanced Diet
As your baby grows into a toddler, they go through a period of intense mental and physical development, as their body prepares for the challenge of walking and talking. A balanced diet is essential to ensure that they have a healthy development, but a toddler’s balanced diet is much different from ours. Their nutritional needs are very different and when planning meals and snacks for your toddler, these needs need to be considered.
Sugar and Salt
Toddlers should have less than 2g of salt per day, which is around ⅓rd of the recommended daily allowance for adults. If you are preparing food for your toddler yourself, then it is important to not add any salt and be aware that some foods are not suitable to give to toddlers, because they are already high in salt and sugar. To show how food should be considered, 2 digestive biscuits contain 1/5th of your toddler’s daily salt allowance. Foods which have natural sugars, such as milk, fruits and vegetables are fine to give to toddlers, but you should avoid foods which have added sugar.
It is important to remember that toddlers have smaller stomachs than adults – on average, a toddler’s stomach is around 5 times smaller than an adult’s. Your toddler’s diet should consist of small amount of nutrient and energy rich foods during the day. To make sure that your little one is getting the right balance of energy and nutrients, you should try and give your toddler 3 small balanced meals a day as well as a couple of regular snacks in-between meals.
Messy mealtimes are to be expected with toddlers, and it can be tempting to give them larger portions if they’re prone to throwing their food around! Instead of doing this and creating food waste and risking giving your toddler portions which are too big, look at protective weaning bibs and toddler suitable plates and cutlery instead.
What Is A Balanced Diet For A Toddler?
A toddler’s balanced diet should ideally be made up of a combination of:
- Starchy Foods. Things such as bread, rice, pasta and potatoes. Aim to offer starchy foods at every meal and offer as a snack too.
- Fruit and vegetables. Try to give your toddler a wide variety of different fruits and vegetables so that they are enjoying a range of different nutrients.
- Milk, cheese and yoghurt. Milk should be part of your toddlers daily diet, but be sure to include other dairy products too to increase their calcium intake.
- Meat, fish or alternatives. It is important to provide your toddler with the protein they need and you should look to give them two portions of protein per day, whether it is in the form of salmon, chicken, pulses or vegan/vegetarian alternatives.
Foods To Avoid
When it comes to balanced diets for toddlers, there are some foods you need to pay extra attention to when preparing or avoid altogether.
- Salt should be avoided as much as possible, so keep it to a minimum when cooking foods and use herbs and spices to season foods instead.
- Avoid foods which contain artificial sweeteners, flavourings and colourings. These aren’t allowed to be added to manufactured foods for babies and toddlers, but they are often present in foods for adults.
- Eggs and shellfish can cause food poisoning if not cooked correctly and are common allergens, so should be approached with caution. Nuts are also an excellent source of nutrients, but they are also a common allergen. If you have a family history of these allergies, then approach these foods with caution and seek your doctor’s advice. You might want to avoid them until after your little one is over 3 years old.
In a Car Accident? Here’s How to Find a Great Lawyer
If you’ve recently been in a car accident, you know that it can be an overwhelming experience. Not only do...
Considering Therapy? Here’s a Few Common Therapy Techniques Explained
If you’re considering therapy as a means to improve your mental health, you may be curious about the type of...
Top 5 Home Repairs You Should Never DIY
DIY home repairs are all the rage these days. But before you jump on the bandwagon, there are some things...
The Power of CBD Oil for Relaxation: How to Use it for Sleep and Stress Relief
If you’re struggling to get a good night’s sleep or feeling stressed, try CBD oil. CBD oil has a moment...
Benefits of Getting your Mobile Phone Repair
Mobile phone repair is a task that needs high skills and experience. That is why we always recommend users trust...
Great Ways To Clean To Get Your Security Deposit Back In Full
Moving is almost always stressful as there are tons of things to plan and do. Getting your security deposit back...
DIY Garage Door Repair: Tips and Tricks for Fixing Common Problems and Maintaining Your System
If your garage door needs to be fixed, wait to call a repairer. Many common problems can be fixed quickly...
7 Tips to Choosing the Right University for You
Are you considering continuing your education at university? If so, it can be overwhelming to decide which school is right...
3 Ways Loans from Credit Unions Are Different From Major Banks
If you’re in the loan market, you may wonder if a credit union is the right choice. Here are three...
The World of Coffee: Exploring the Aromas, Flavors, and Benefits of the World’s Most Popular Beverage
Coffee is one of the world’s most popular beverages, enjoyed by people of all ages and backgrounds. It’s also one...
New Driver? 5 Things to Consider When Looking for Driving School
When it comes to choosing a driving school, there are many factors to consider. Not all driving schools are created...
Landscape Irrigation Systems: The Basics
If you’re a homeowner, you know that keeping your lawn and landscaping looking nice can be a lot of work....
5 Things to Look for in Luxury Hotels
When it comes to luxury hotels, there is a lot to look out for. Here are five key things that...
Is There a Difference Between Commercial and Residential Concrete?
If you’re a contractor, you know that concrete is a versatile construction material. But did you know that there are...
5 Tips to Find the Right Litigation Firm
When it comes to selecting the right litigation firm for your legal needs, choosing wisely is of utmost importance. It’s...
Tech8 years ago
Creating An e-Commerce Website
Tech8 years ago
Design Template Guidelines For Mobile Apps
Business3 years ago
What Is AdsSupply? A Comprehensive Review
Business7 years ago
The Key Types Of Brochure Printing Services
Law2 years ago
How Can A Divorce Lawyer Help You Get Through Divorce?
Tech5 years ago
When To Send Your Bulk Messages?
Travel11 years ago
Who Else Wants Also Nfl Hat
Tech2 years ago
5 Link Building Strategies You Can Apply For Local SEO