As your baby grows into a toddler, they go through a period of intense mental and physical development, as their body prepares for the challenge of walking and talking. A balanced diet is essential to ensure that they have a healthy development, but a toddler’s balanced diet is much different from ours. Their nutritional needs are very different and when planning meals and snacks for your toddler, these needs need to be considered.
Sugar and Salt
Toddlers should have less than 2g of salt per day, which is around ⅓rd of the recommended daily allowance for adults. If you are preparing food for your toddler yourself, then it is important to not add any salt and be aware that some foods are not suitable to give to toddlers, because they are already high in salt and sugar. To show how food should be considered, 2 digestive biscuits contain 1/5th of your toddler’s daily salt allowance. Foods which have natural sugars, such as milk, fruits and vegetables are fine to give to toddlers, but you should avoid foods which have added sugar.
It is important to remember that toddlers have smaller stomachs than adults – on average, a toddler’s stomach is around 5 times smaller than an adult’s. Your toddler’s diet should consist of small amount of nutrient and energy rich foods during the day. To make sure that your little one is getting the right balance of energy and nutrients, you should try and give your toddler 3 small balanced meals a day as well as a couple of regular snacks in-between meals.
Messy mealtimes are to be expected with toddlers, and it can be tempting to give them larger portions if they’re prone to throwing their food around! Instead of doing this and creating food waste and risking giving your toddler portions which are too big, look at protective weaning bibs and toddler suitable plates and cutlery instead.
What Is A Balanced Diet For A Toddler?
A toddler’s balanced diet should ideally be made up of a combination of:
- Starchy Foods. Things such as bread, rice, pasta and potatoes. Aim to offer starchy foods at every meal and offer as a snack too.
- Fruit and vegetables. Try to give your toddler a wide variety of different fruits and vegetables so that they are enjoying a range of different nutrients.
- Milk, cheese and yoghurt. Milk should be part of your toddlers daily diet, but be sure to include other dairy products too to increase their calcium intake.
- Meat, fish or alternatives. It is important to provide your toddler with the protein they need and you should look to give them two portions of protein per day, whether it is in the form of salmon, chicken, pulses or vegan/vegetarian alternatives.
Foods To Avoid
When it comes to balanced diets for toddlers, there are some foods you need to pay extra attention to when preparing or avoid altogether.
- Salt should be avoided as much as possible, so keep it to a minimum when cooking foods and use herbs and spices to season foods instead.
- Avoid foods which contain artificial sweeteners, flavourings and colourings. These aren’t allowed to be added to manufactured foods for babies and toddlers, but they are often present in foods for adults.
- Eggs and shellfish can cause food poisoning if not cooked correctly and are common allergens, so should be approached with caution. Nuts are also an excellent source of nutrients, but they are also a common allergen. If you have a family history of these allergies, then approach these foods with caution and seek your doctor’s advice. You might want to avoid them until after your little one is over 3 years old.
Everything You Need to Think About Before The Road Trip
Road trips are perhaps the most flexible vacation format: they can be as long or fast, intense or relaxed, planned...
Justice Law In Rural Area: Keep Community Feels Secure
In order to strive and keep on progressing forward, the judiciary system plays an important role in instituting trust within...
Get The Best Of Dynamics 365 CRM With Inogic Productivity Suite Now!
Finally, at the end of 2020, it’s here. When we started an unexpected lockdown, we were all able to pause,...
How to Combine Traditional and Modern Furniture With Style
Are you in love with both traditional and modern furniture styles? Do you feel like you can’t decide between those...
Must-Have Womens Weekend Away Accessories
If you’re planning a weekend away, there are a few essentials that will keep you looking stylish whilst also being...
How to Organize Your Garage
Do you have so much stuff in your garage, your car is left out in the cold? Keep reading. Your...
Tips On Preventing Accidents In The Workplace and Keep Your Employees Safe
Preventing accidents in the workplace is both the moral and ethical responsibility of every employer. Knowing that there’s a safety...
4 Surprising Ways SaaS Can Be A Game Changer For Small Business
The World Wide Web will never run out of tips and strategies on how to grow your business. These days,...
Understanding SaaS, PaaS, IaaS Prior to Selecting One For Your Business
Summary: Cloud Computing is rising at a faster pace, and it’s crucially important for organizations to move to the Cloud...
5 Tips to Avoid Federal Tax Penalty For Taxpayers
When you are undergoing a tax issue, then it is vital to have knowledge of what are you up against...
Spy App For Android A Tool For Keeping Workplace
Dealing with routine matters has been a lot easier and stress-free thanks to modern technology. Want to order food, use...
How to Create A Backyard Zen Oasis
The lifestyle of the modern era usually depletes one’s energy by the time they get home from work. Whether or...
Mistakes You Need to Avoid When Preparing Your CV
Writing a CV can be hard. You have to somehow condense all your experience into 1 or 2 A4 pages....
Home Decor Trends For 2021: What You Can Expect
This year, the Covid pandemic has had a huge impact on many different industries and sectors and one which has...
5 Ways to Protect Your Teeth This Christmas
Christmas is just around the corner and the preparations are well underway for the festive day, even if it is...
- Tech6 years ago
Creating An e-Commerce Website
- Tech6 years ago
Design Template Guidelines For Mobile Apps
- Business5 years ago
The Key Types Of Brochure Printing Services
- Travel9 years ago
Who Else Wants Also Nfl Hat
- General6 years ago
Kobe Bryant With His Unique Nba Jerseys
- Tech7 years ago
Why Small Businesses Can't Ignore Mobile Technology
- Tech6 years ago
Climb Google Using These Checklists
- Health7 years ago
Health Supplements For Sports Activities Nutrition