I have been the guy who has had to read the hundred resumes dropped in my inbox. Most resumes only got a 3 second glance with a few I read and then scheduled for interviews. Were there good candidates in the 40 or so that I just glanced at and moved on, surely. Here are the things you should know when applying for that job and how your first hope is the first impression your resume makes.
First you should know that the manager who is hiring is undoubtedly wanting you to be “the one”. He wants a good guy to come in and handle the work he is probably working overtime to handle. He does not want to interview 20 people, he wants to find the one guy quickly and be done with it. So get that interview and don’t mess up and your chances are solid.
1. Don’t write “War and peace”: Nothing could put me off a resume more than a heavily worded, small font resume. In three seconds I will not be able to digest very much and will probably “come back to that later” i.e. never read it again.
2. Skills should jump off the page: When a manager is looking for a position to be filled there will be keywords and phrases he is looking for. I suggest putting a skills section at the top below your name and contact info. This should have easily found terms related to the work you are looking to get. Use a table (make the lines invisible) to get as many in the first glance as possible.
3. Experience should reflect achievements: “Worked in shipping department” does not communicate what you are capable of, should be “Was responsible for all organization, scheduling and administration in shipping area handling over 2000 deliveries per day”. It tells the manager what you did and what you demonstrated what you were capable of without being long winded.
4. Don’t be fancy: Unless you are going for a design/art type position, keep it simple. Use professional, easy to read fonts – the star of this show is the information, not the font choice or the pretty paper.
5. Don’t bother with references: That’s later when you get your interview and you pass the interview, save the space for the good stuff.
6. Include education: People care about it.
So, before you send that resume out, check it off against the list above. Read the job description you want to apply for, get an idea of what they would want to see on a resume, open your resume for 3 seconds and determine if you would qualify for reading your resume more fully at that point. If not, edit the text and change the font size where necessary to make that impact.
Best Places To Visit In The North Of England
If you live in England, you will know there are many different places to visit for the weekend. There are...
Green Home Improvement Ideas
In a world where environmental concerns are growing, the concept of “green” has gone beyond a trendy catchphrase and is...
How to Host an Unforgettable House-Warming!
The time has finally come. You have moved into your dream pad, and are officially adulting in your very own...
A Guide to Parking Lot Striping
The journey to a well-striped parking lot begins with the right paint. In this brief guide, we’ll unravel the mystery...
Business Tips For Protecting Your Finances During A Recession
In 2023, taking the necessary steps to protect your finances for your business is now more important than ever. The...
Tips For Cleaning Your Trainers
If you’re into your trainers and streetwear, you’re likely to be very conscious of keeping them looking their best! So,...
Branding Trends For Start-Ups in 2023
Branding is incredibly important as it impacts how your business reaches and connects with its target market. If you’re branding...
Avoiding the Wrong Kind of Growth
Growth is vital for any business – some models, like tech start-ups, are built around periods of dramatic, explosive growth...
How To Become A Property Developer
There are several reasons why an individual will want to become a property developer. One of the main reasons for...
What Is The Difference Between Cyber Attacks and Cyber Threats?
If you own a business that uses the cloud to manage workloads, you have probably heard of the terms cyberattack...
3 Types of Marketing Every Small Construction Business Should Do
Construction is a very saturated sector, whether you’re a large or small construction company, so marketing should be at the...
How Relevant Life Insurance Plans Can Future-Proof Your Business
Last year, UK inflation reached the highest level that it had been for decades. The markets became unsteady and nervous...
In a Car Accident? Here’s How to Find a Great Lawyer
If you’ve recently been in a car accident, you know that it can be an overwhelming experience. Not only do...
Considering Therapy? Here’s a Few Common Therapy Techniques Explained
If you’re considering therapy as a means to improve your mental health, you may be curious about the type of...
Top 5 Home Repairs You Should Never DIY
DIY home repairs are all the rage these days. But before you jump on the bandwagon, there are some things...
Tech9 years ago
Creating An e-Commerce Website
Tech9 years ago
Design Template Guidelines For Mobile Apps
Business4 years ago
What Is AdsSupply? A Comprehensive Review
Business8 years ago
The Key Types Of Brochure Printing Services
Law3 years ago
How Can A Divorce Lawyer Help You Get Through Divorce?
Tech6 years ago
When To Send Your Bulk Messages?
Tech3 years ago
5 Link Building Strategies You Can Apply For Local SEO
Travel11 years ago
Who Else Wants Also Nfl Hat