Energy efficiency is one of the key strategies for making life on Earth more sustainable. And this means life in our own neighbourhood and home too. Becoming energy efficient has two additional and critical advantages for us: we save money on the energy bill, and we contribute to containing, when not actually reducing, air pollution through greenhouse gas emissions.
Arguably, not using power is the most energy efficient method of all. Cycle instead of drive. Use a candle instead of a lamp. Use batteries instead of electrical power. This however isn’t always feasible, and sometimes it doesn’t make economic sense. On the other hand, some proven ways of becoming energy efficient, like switching to solar-generated power for electricity and heating, have high investment costs and need to be carefully evaluated.
So how can we make our home more energy efficient, effectively and at minimum cost? Here is a list of what we can do:
- Switch from incandescent to fluorescent bulbs for lamps and fitted lights. Energy saving bulbs do cost more (an 11W fluorescent bulb costs up to £ 4,99, compared to £ 2,99 for an equivalent 60W incandescent bulb) but within a normal household the extra cost will run into the 10s of pounds a year, while the related energy saving will far outstrip this (and fluorescent bulbs last longer too).
- Upgrade to dusk-to-dawn sensor bulbs. Some energy saving bulbs come equipped with light sensors that will switch them off at dawn. This type of bulb costs up to £ 6,99 for 15W but can reduce energy consumption by up to 80% and is very useful for office lighting.
- Use a pocket solar charger to charge up the batteries of your personal electronics (phone, tablet, MP 3 player, digital camera). As well as being portable, it charges up on natural light in 12 hours, and in about one hour it will fully recharge a phone or an MP3 player.
- Use A-rated white appliances. Washing machines, dryers, dishwashers, refrigerators are a household’s best friends, especially when they are designed and built for being energy efficient. Current refrigerators have been shown to use 40% less energy than 2001 models! Watch out for the EU standard energy label and go for a minimum rating of B (the scale is G, least efficient, to A, most efficient) : the extra cost is relatively small and the long-term advantages significant.
- Use stand-by mode with care. Pcs, TVs and other electronic equipment run stand-by mode to be able to be quickly turned on when necessary (hence saving re-booting time). But if you don’t plan to use a device for more than half an hour, the most energy efficient way to go is to switch it off and/or cut power at the plug (or remove the plug). A small act but if you add it up for several times a day over a year…it’s another contribution to being more energy efficient, and saving on your energy bill.
So now you know, and with a little discipline all these tips will add up into a significant improvement of your energy efficiency and into more savings.
This post is written by Mark Jenkins and he works at CouponAudit as a writer, where thousands of valid and working online coupons for different stores are available including but not limited to Toms promo code 2013 and various other online stores.
Best Places To Visit In The North Of England
If you live in England, you will know there are many different places to visit for the weekend. There are...
Green Home Improvement Ideas
In a world where environmental concerns are growing, the concept of “green” has gone beyond a trendy catchphrase and is...
How to Host an Unforgettable House-Warming!
The time has finally come. You have moved into your dream pad, and are officially adulting in your very own...
A Guide to Parking Lot Striping
The journey to a well-striped parking lot begins with the right paint. In this brief guide, we’ll unravel the mystery...
Business Tips For Protecting Your Finances During A Recession
In 2023, taking the necessary steps to protect your finances for your business is now more important than ever. The...
Tips For Cleaning Your Trainers
If you’re into your trainers and streetwear, you’re likely to be very conscious of keeping them looking their best! So,...
Branding Trends For Start-Ups in 2023
Branding is incredibly important as it impacts how your business reaches and connects with its target market. If you’re branding...
Avoiding the Wrong Kind of Growth
Growth is vital for any business – some models, like tech start-ups, are built around periods of dramatic, explosive growth...
How To Become A Property Developer
There are several reasons why an individual will want to become a property developer. One of the main reasons for...
What Is The Difference Between Cyber Attacks and Cyber Threats?
If you own a business that uses the cloud to manage workloads, you have probably heard of the terms cyberattack...
3 Types of Marketing Every Small Construction Business Should Do
Construction is a very saturated sector, whether you’re a large or small construction company, so marketing should be at the...
How Relevant Life Insurance Plans Can Future-Proof Your Business
Last year, UK inflation reached the highest level that it had been for decades. The markets became unsteady and nervous...
In a Car Accident? Here’s How to Find a Great Lawyer
If you’ve recently been in a car accident, you know that it can be an overwhelming experience. Not only do...
Considering Therapy? Here’s a Few Common Therapy Techniques Explained
If you’re considering therapy as a means to improve your mental health, you may be curious about the type of...
Top 5 Home Repairs You Should Never DIY
DIY home repairs are all the rage these days. But before you jump on the bandwagon, there are some things...
Tech9 years ago
Creating An e-Commerce Website
Tech9 years ago
Design Template Guidelines For Mobile Apps
Business4 years ago
What Is AdsSupply? A Comprehensive Review
Business8 years ago
The Key Types Of Brochure Printing Services
Law3 years ago
How Can A Divorce Lawyer Help You Get Through Divorce?
Tech6 years ago
When To Send Your Bulk Messages?
Tech3 years ago
5 Link Building Strategies You Can Apply For Local SEO
Travel11 years ago
Who Else Wants Also Nfl Hat