Having a safe workplace is the fundamental requirement for employees of any set-up. As a major step towards ensuring workplace safety, regulatory agencies have mandated inclusion of various kinds of safety signs and directed an international standardisation of these signs. These signs could be in many forms, but all of them serve the same purpose, i.e. to warn the employees about the possible hazard at the workplace.
These signs are classified into different types, and each of them has a clear role to play towards employee safety. Let us have a look at the most important types of these signs:
- Warning signs: As the name suggests, these signs are meant to warn the people about a certain hazard or hazardous operation. The regulatory requirement of a warning sign is that they should be in the shape of an equilateral triangle with a black border and yellow base. The sign should pictorially depict the kind of hazard it is conveying, for example, flammable substances and radioactive material.
- Prohibition signs: This category of safety signs clearly informs the employee about the practices or substance that are prohibited in the premises. These signs typically consist of a red circular shape with a diagonal red line running across the circle as its diameter, and running from top left to bottom right at an angle of 45 degrees. Examples of such signs include prohibition of smoking, carrying ammunition etc.
- Exit signs: As per regulatory specifications, it is mandatory for any business or commercial activity to provide exit signs at all doorways that lead to a means of escape from the building. These signs assume extraordinary importance in case of emergency evacuations.
- Mandatory signs: If the nature of work at a place necessitate adherence to compulsory rules, mandatory signs are used to indicate the same. For example, if heavy machinery is being used, a sign should make it clear that all workers are supposed to wear safety gear like head protection. Similarly, these signs are also used to convey actions required to carry out certain tasks, for example, the ‘Keep shut’ sign at a fire escape door.
- Fire equipment signs: Typically, these signs are used to indicate the location of fire-fighting equipment. They are bright red in colour with the details of the equipment depicted in white. It is a common practice for many businesses to include a fire training course for new employees where they are told about these signs and their significance.
- Safe condition signs: The purpose of these signs is to provide employees with escape routes, locate first aid kits, assembly point etc. Typical safe condition signs are made in a combination of green and white.
In addition to the different types of safety signs that are recommended for use in the workplace, the employee and employer should also know the basic rules and regulations governing these signs. For example, the exit signs are required to be visible to employees all the time. It is also mandatory that signs for escape purposes should have the provision of being illuminated in case of power failure that renders the premises dark and unfit for reading the signs.
3 Things You Need To Be Doing To Look After Your Teeth
Many people don’t prioritise looking after their teeth, however it is so important as we only get one adult set...
Car Care and Checklist for Road Trip
Are you planning a road trip across Australia? If you are, you must know that you couldn’t have chosen a...
Interior Design Secrets For Your Living Space
Interior design is not something that comes naturally to the majority of us. Figuring out how to pull a room...
Office Building Maintenance You’ll Need To Take Care Of
Like other buildings, office buildings need to be well-maintained so that they are safe, comfortable, and pleasing aesthetically. To accomplish...
Text Messages Vs Sexting Apps – What is best for fun?
It’s no secret that sexting has become a popular way for people to get their kicks. But what’s the best...
Hottest Trainer Brands for 2023
It’s time to update your wardrobe! As we get closer to 2023, it’s time to get the freshest fashion trends....
How To Have Great Personal Hygiene
Personal hygiene should be a basic practice of everyone’s routine. Feeling healthy and clean is a direct response to great...
Protecting Yourself From Scams
As the world becomes more digital, unfortunately many people are using this as a way to scam hard-working people. There...
Marketing Tips For A Gym Wear Brand
When starting a gym wear brand, there are a few things you need to do and one of them is...
Why Is Quantity Surveying Essential in Construction Industry
Quantity surveying is an essential part of the Australian construction industry. It is the process of calculating and estimating the...
How to Maintain Upholstered Furniture
No matter if you have pets or kids, maintaining your upholstered furniture is quite a challenge. Even though vacuuming it...
How Do I Find a Good Bubble.io Developer?
Finding a good bubble developer to help build your app or digital product can seem challenging. How can you choose...
When is a right time for home repairs?
Summer is a popular time for a renovation around the globe. While it is true that bright days and warm...
Top 15 Alteryx Competitors
The world has seen a tremendous rise in startups and new incorporations in the business world. Companies have great potential...
Latest Wedding Trends for 2023
If you’re planning on getting married this year, chances are you’re probably overwhelmed and confused when it comes to wedding...
Tech8 years ago
Creating An e-Commerce Website
Tech8 years ago
Design Template Guidelines For Mobile Apps
Business3 years ago
What Is AdsSupply? A Comprehensive Review
Business7 years ago
The Key Types Of Brochure Printing Services
Law2 years ago
How Can A Divorce Lawyer Help You Get Through Divorce?
Travel10 years ago
Who Else Wants Also Nfl Hat
Tech2 years ago
5 Link Building Strategies You Can Apply For Local SEO
General7 years ago
Kobe Bryant With His Unique Nba Jerseys