Now that the weather has chilled down, how comfortable is the temperature in your home? If you find yourself wearing layer upon layer of clothing because you can’t keep the place warm enough, it is time to troubleshoot and resolve problem areas around your property.
Sending shivers racing down your spine like rainwater down your collar, irritating, persistent draughts can really make winter a miserable time of the year. Instead of ‘making-do’ with this annoying problem, it is time to take action!
1. Diagnose the draught-zones
For this step, you’ll need an incense stick, a lighter or some matches, a ruler or measuring tape, a pen and some paper:
- Close all of your windows and doors, then carefully light the incense stick so that it starts to spew a steady stream of smoke.
- Carefully and methodically bring the smoking incense stick over to your doors and windows, slowly hovering it around the entire area, ensuring that you don’t burn yourself or anything in the vicinity of your test area (like curtains, etc.).
- Watch the stream of smoke carefully as you move it around your windows and doors: you are looking for signs of draughts which will become apparent due to their effect on the smoke.
- When you notice an area that has a draught, take a note of it, measuring its exact position so that you can target it later on.
2. Stop the draughts coming in
This is easier said than done, if you go down the route of patching up draught zones:
- Use a foam weather-stripping product to seal around doors and windows: most of these products consist of a cut-to-size, adhesive-backed tape which can be applied to windows and doors to eliminate draughts: make sure to read the instructions and find out the best way to apply it to your particular home setup.
- Draught excluders can be used to stop cold air rushing in from gaps underneath your doors: you can opt for the brush-like variety which can be fitted directly onto your door or use a temporary unit – the fixed variety will, however, prove to be more practical, as it doesn’t impede the movement of the door.
- You can also use a sealant product to fill in small cracks and the like: make sure that this is compatible with your window/door material and follow the manufacturers’ instructions.
3. A more permanent solution
Whilst cutting draughts is one thing, if your windows and doors are not inherently energy-efficient, you could end up losing much of your heat through poorly-insulated, inefficient units.
Modern double-glazed windows and robust UPVC doors can really help to stop heat escaping and make your home a more comfortable place over the winter.
The author of this article specialises in home improvements, such as UPVC Windows and conservatories.
Best Places To Visit In The North Of England
If you live in England, you will know there are many different places to visit for the weekend. There are...
Green Home Improvement Ideas
In a world where environmental concerns are growing, the concept of “green” has gone beyond a trendy catchphrase and is...
How to Host an Unforgettable House-Warming!
The time has finally come. You have moved into your dream pad, and are officially adulting in your very own...
A Guide to Parking Lot Striping
The journey to a well-striped parking lot begins with the right paint. In this brief guide, we’ll unravel the mystery...
Business Tips For Protecting Your Finances During A Recession
In 2023, taking the necessary steps to protect your finances for your business is now more important than ever. The...
Tips For Cleaning Your Trainers
If you’re into your trainers and streetwear, you’re likely to be very conscious of keeping them looking their best! So,...
Branding Trends For Start-Ups in 2023
Branding is incredibly important as it impacts how your business reaches and connects with its target market. If you’re branding...
Avoiding the Wrong Kind of Growth
Growth is vital for any business – some models, like tech start-ups, are built around periods of dramatic, explosive growth...
How To Become A Property Developer
There are several reasons why an individual will want to become a property developer. One of the main reasons for...
What Is The Difference Between Cyber Attacks and Cyber Threats?
If you own a business that uses the cloud to manage workloads, you have probably heard of the terms cyberattack...
3 Types of Marketing Every Small Construction Business Should Do
Construction is a very saturated sector, whether you’re a large or small construction company, so marketing should be at the...
How Relevant Life Insurance Plans Can Future-Proof Your Business
Last year, UK inflation reached the highest level that it had been for decades. The markets became unsteady and nervous...
In a Car Accident? Here’s How to Find a Great Lawyer
If you’ve recently been in a car accident, you know that it can be an overwhelming experience. Not only do...
Considering Therapy? Here’s a Few Common Therapy Techniques Explained
If you’re considering therapy as a means to improve your mental health, you may be curious about the type of...
Top 5 Home Repairs You Should Never DIY
DIY home repairs are all the rage these days. But before you jump on the bandwagon, there are some things...
Tech9 years ago
Creating An e-Commerce Website
Tech9 years ago
Design Template Guidelines For Mobile Apps
Business4 years ago
What Is AdsSupply? A Comprehensive Review
Business8 years ago
The Key Types Of Brochure Printing Services
Law3 years ago
How Can A Divorce Lawyer Help You Get Through Divorce?
Tech6 years ago
When To Send Your Bulk Messages?
Tech3 years ago
5 Link Building Strategies You Can Apply For Local SEO
Travel11 years ago
Who Else Wants Also Nfl Hat