Sometimes it is obvious that your cat needs medical attention, for example, if it has had an accident or is showing visible signs of distress. However, your feline friend may also exhibit more subtle but equally as important signs that he or she needs to visit the vet.
Some of the key signs to be aware of are listed below;
- Excessive meowing It’s not unusual for cats to become increasingly vocal when they are trying to get your attention, but this can also be your cat telling you something is amiss. If your cat continues to meow excessively even after all of her needs have been met (check she has food and water, play with her and give her attention if this is what she is asking for) then it could be an indication that something is not right.
- Difficulty using the litter box. If your cat is straining when using the litter box this could be a sign that there is something wrong. If your cat is having difficulty urinating or defecating it could be a sign of constipation, urinary tract infections or for male cats – obstruction. Obstruction of the urinary system can be life threatening, so if you notice your cat is having a lot of difficulty urinating you should get him to the vet immediately. If left untreated an obstructed bladder can cause kidney failure and even death.
- Difficulty breathing. It is not uncommon for cats to grow stuffy and exhibit common cold symptoms such as a runny nose and crusty eyes, however, very labored breathing could be a symptom of something much worse. A healthy cat should show barely detectable signs of breathing, but if your cat is resting and showing signs of increased respiratory effort or distress, then you need to get her to the vet straight away. In particular, a cat breathing with his or her mouth open is a sign that something is very wrong so you should seek help straight away. Open-mouthed breathing could be a warning sign of fluid in the lung tissue- pulmonary edema- or fluid between the lungs and the chest wall- pleural effusion, both of which need attention immediately.
- Increased sleep. Cats are happy to sleep for up to 16 hours a day, but if your cat is placing sleep as a priority above eating, drinking or playing then something is not right. Your cat should not go for more than two days without eating as failure to eat or drink for an extended period of time could cause fatal problems for her. Not eating can result in metabolic diseases such as hepatic lipidosis, which can cause life threatening liver failure in cats.
- Any symptom that lasts for more than 48 hours or gets drastically worse. Always monitor your cat if it is showing any signs or symptoms of illness. If there is a particular symptom that has lasted for 48 hours or longer, or you notice that it has suddenly become much worse then you should seek medical advice from your vet straight away. Signs to look out for include; vomiting, limping, diarrhea, poor appetite, runny eyes, snotty nose and excessive sleeping.
Enjoy Responsibly: The Safest Methods for Using Cannabis
As cannabis is becoming more and more legalized across the nation, people are becoming more curious about its uses. With...
Tips on finding moving companies in Toronto providing comfortable moving services
Moving to an interstate location shall be stressful, especially if you are about to relocate on your own. Hiring professional...
Choosing the Right Tail Lights for Your Car or Bike
If you need new tail lights for your car or bike, you’ll want to take several factors into consideration so...
End of lease cleaning in Melbourne – Move in and Move out easily
If you are a tenant, you are sure to be aware of the fact that you get to move into...
Tips in finding a trustworthy removalists team in Sydney
Relocating to a newly rented or leased house space can be a tedious and time-consuming process to perform on your...
4 Fashion Additions to Complete Your Outfit
A wonderful outfit can make you appear and feel like someone who can conquer the world without even breaking a...
How to Go about Selling an Old Car for Parts
Selling an old car for parts is easier than most people realize, and your junker could be worth quite a...
4 Things to Consider Before Choosing a Feed Tank for Your Manufacturing
In every day manufacturing you may find that you need a feed tank for your operation. Selecting the right feed...
How to Find a Phone that Fits your Needs
Are you looking to buy a phone that may suit your needs without poking a hole in your wallet? You...
Elegant Dinner: 4 Ways to Fancify Your Next Get-Together
Throwing a social gathering in the comfort of your own home can be a joy. If you want your upcoming...
5 Issues You May Face in the Aftermath of an Auto Accident
Being involved in a motor vehicle accident is something we all would like to avoid. However, no matter how safe...
5 Ways Guest Posting Can Help Grow Your Online Audience
Guest blogging is the process of posting your original content on someone else’s website. This might seem like a counterproductive...
4 Important Ways You Can Update Your Decades-Old Home
Modernizing an older house doesn’t need to be a time-consuming or expensive process. With a few simple upgrades and a...
3 Ways to Strive Toward Better Sexual Health
September is World Sexual Health Month! A critical part of our overall well-being is sexual health. This month is the...
Strapped for Cash? 5 Ways to Earn Money Quickly
The dream is to be in a position where you don’t have to worry about money. Until that dream becomes...
- Tech4 years ago
Creating An e-Commerce Website
- Tech4 years ago
Design Template Guidelines For Mobile Apps
- Business4 years ago
The Key Types Of Brochure Printing Services
- Travel7 years ago
Who Else Wants Also Nfl Hat
- General4 years ago
Kobe Bryant With His Unique Nba Jerseys
- Tech4 years ago
Climb Google Using These Checklists
- Tech5 years ago
Why Small Businesses Can't Ignore Mobile Technology
- Health6 years ago
Health Supplements For Sports Activities Nutrition