Sometimes it is obvious that your cat needs medical attention, for example, if it has had an accident or is showing visible signs of distress. However, your feline friend may also exhibit more subtle but equally as important signs that he or she needs to visit the vet.
Some of the key signs to be aware of are listed below;
- Excessive meowing It’s not unusual for cats to become increasingly vocal when they are trying to get your attention, but this can also be your cat telling you something is amiss. If your cat continues to meow excessively even after all of her needs have been met (check she has food and water, play with her and give her attention if this is what she is asking for) then it could be an indication that something is not right.
- Difficulty using the litter box. If your cat is straining when using the litter box this could be a sign that there is something wrong. If your cat is having difficulty urinating or defecating it could be a sign of constipation, urinary tract infections or for male cats – obstruction. Obstruction of the urinary system can be life threatening, so if you notice your cat is having a lot of difficulty urinating you should get him to the vet immediately. If left untreated an obstructed bladder can cause kidney failure and even death.
- Difficulty breathing. It is not uncommon for cats to grow stuffy and exhibit common cold symptoms such as a runny nose and crusty eyes, however, very labored breathing could be a symptom of something much worse. A healthy cat should show barely detectable signs of breathing, but if your cat is resting and showing signs of increased respiratory effort or distress, then you need to get her to the vet straight away. In particular, a cat breathing with his or her mouth open is a sign that something is very wrong so you should seek help straight away. Open-mouthed breathing could be a warning sign of fluid in the lung tissue- pulmonary edema- or fluid between the lungs and the chest wall- pleural effusion, both of which need attention immediately.
- Increased sleep. Cats are happy to sleep for up to 16 hours a day, but if your cat is placing sleep as a priority above eating, drinking or playing then something is not right. Your cat should not go for more than two days without eating as failure to eat or drink for an extended period of time could cause fatal problems for her. Not eating can result in metabolic diseases such as hepatic lipidosis, which can cause life threatening liver failure in cats.
- Any symptom that lasts for more than 48 hours or gets drastically worse. Always monitor your cat if it is showing any signs or symptoms of illness. If there is a particular symptom that has lasted for 48 hours or longer, or you notice that it has suddenly become much worse then you should seek medical advice from your vet straight away. Signs to look out for include; vomiting, limping, diarrhea, poor appetite, runny eyes, snotty nose and excessive sleeping.
4 Reasons to Replace Your Car’s Engine With Performance Parts
Performance parts are the best kind of upgrades you can make to a car. Performance cars have a higher price...
Maximum Power: Update Your Old House For Modern Electrical Needs
An outdated electrical system can wreak havoc on your energy bills and greatly increase your risk of structural damage. If...
Key Techniques To Learn On A First Aid Course
Introduction First aid training is an incredible qualification that can enable one to offer life saving assistance in an emergency....
Best Tips For Managing Your Building and Construction Projects
Building and construction projects consist of many tasks, from job-site duties to office paperwork. Juggling it all can oftentimes be...
How To Choose The Best Locksmith For The Job
The existence of a locksmith is very crucial for society because they help out countless people on a daily basis....
5 Modern Conservatory Ideas To Create A Serene Escape
Having a serene and relaxing conservatory is the dream, especially in the summer months. Creating an extension of your home...
4 Different Types Of Lifting Equipment For A Construction Site
One of the biggest challenges on a construction site is the problem of lifting heavy materials and tools to a...
5 Tips That Can Help Your Business Flourish
Many, both small and big, businesses were affected by the outbreak of the novel coronavirus, no one was spared. Overnight,...
Why First Aid Training Is Essential For Your Business
Introduction All employers, depending on the establishment, should organize and provide basic appropriate conditions for lunch breaks as well as...
Are You Covered? Tips For Finding Affordable Health Insurance For Your Whole Family
If you are in the market for health insurance, you may be overwhelmed by the many different features and the...
How to Prevent Potential Hazards In A Lab
Unfortunately, lab accidents can happen. When they do, the consequences can be very serious. Some of the most common lab...
How to Extend Your UK Spouse Visa
The UK spouse visa is also known as a UK marriage visa. The UK spouse visa allows married partners of...
How Best Is Automation Helping The Retail Industry to Survive?
“In the post Covid-19 world, the only place cos are willing to invest is in automation. The return on investment...
Best Artificial Intelligence Trends to Watch Out In 2021
Technologies are getting advanced day by day, and according to that, the developers and the mobile app development companies should...
Keeping Your Assets Safe — Crypto Insurance May Soon Become The Norm
Many people all over the world have compared the cryptocurrency market to the wild West, largely because of the fact...
Tech6 years ago
Creating An e-Commerce Website
Tech6 years ago
Design Template Guidelines For Mobile Apps
Business6 years ago
The Key Types Of Brochure Printing Services
Travel9 years ago
Who Else Wants Also Nfl Hat
General6 years ago
Kobe Bryant With His Unique Nba Jerseys
Tech7 years ago
Why Small Businesses Can't Ignore Mobile Technology
Tech6 years ago
Climb Google Using These Checklists
Health7 years ago
Health Supplements For Sports Activities Nutrition