Sometimes it is obvious that your cat needs medical attention, for example, if it has had an accident or is showing visible signs of distress. However, your feline friend may also exhibit more subtle but equally as important signs that he or she needs to visit the vet.
Some of the key signs to be aware of are listed below;
- Excessive meowing It’s not unusual for cats to become increasingly vocal when they are trying to get your attention, but this can also be your cat telling you something is amiss. If your cat continues to meow excessively even after all of her needs have been met (check she has food and water, play with her and give her attention if this is what she is asking for) then it could be an indication that something is not right.
- Difficulty using the litter box. If your cat is straining when using the litter box this could be a sign that there is something wrong. If your cat is having difficulty urinating or defecating it could be a sign of constipation, urinary tract infections or for male cats – obstruction. Obstruction of the urinary system can be life threatening, so if you notice your cat is having a lot of difficulty urinating you should get him to the vet immediately. If left untreated an obstructed bladder can cause kidney failure and even death.
- Difficulty breathing. It is not uncommon for cats to grow stuffy and exhibit common cold symptoms such as a runny nose and crusty eyes, however, very labored breathing could be a symptom of something much worse. A healthy cat should show barely detectable signs of breathing, but if your cat is resting and showing signs of increased respiratory effort or distress, then you need to get her to the vet straight away. In particular, a cat breathing with his or her mouth open is a sign that something is very wrong so you should seek help straight away. Open-mouthed breathing could be a warning sign of fluid in the lung tissue- pulmonary edema- or fluid between the lungs and the chest wall- pleural effusion, both of which need attention immediately.
- Increased sleep. Cats are happy to sleep for up to 16 hours a day, but if your cat is placing sleep as a priority above eating, drinking or playing then something is not right. Your cat should not go for more than two days without eating as failure to eat or drink for an extended period of time could cause fatal problems for her. Not eating can result in metabolic diseases such as hepatic lipidosis, which can cause life threatening liver failure in cats.
- Any symptom that lasts for more than 48 hours or gets drastically worse. Always monitor your cat if it is showing any signs or symptoms of illness. If there is a particular symptom that has lasted for 48 hours or longer, or you notice that it has suddenly become much worse then you should seek medical advice from your vet straight away. Signs to look out for include; vomiting, limping, diarrhea, poor appetite, runny eyes, snotty nose and excessive sleeping.
4 Most Efficient Drainage Systems for Flat Roofs
The matter of drainage is the essential function of your roof. In fact, the very shape of a roof (a...
Google Algorithm Updates to Expect by The End Of 2021
Google’s algorithm updates tend to come with a lot of uncertainty and questions, and getting ahead of them is the...
Cozy Home Office Setup Tips For 2021
Whether you work from home or have set out a place for something you like such as crafting, studying, or...
Garden Party Ideas For Everyone
No one can make “a perfect’’ garden party, but we are all able to throw an amazing one. Of course,...
How To Find Low Competition Long Tail Keywords Using Free Tools
Keywords are the most fundamental and highest ROI activity when it comes to SEM and SEO. Having the right keywords,...
Top Tips For Healthy Family Meals On A Budget
A healthy diet is not very difficult to follow since there is a lot of information available on the Internet...
Tips For Your Morning Skincare Routine
Keeping your skin healthy can come down to numerous things. A healthy diet will be a good start in keeping...
How to Make SEO Work For You and Your Business
The world of search engine optimization has changed a lot, but certain fundamental principles like focusing on target keywords to...
How to Increase Your Vegetable Garden Yield This Year
If you are going thru the effort of planning, planting, caring, and growing your plants, you naturally want to get...
Why Families Benefit From A Family Dentist When Dealing With Oral Health Issues
Oral Health issues can be a source of conflict and stress in families, especially in families with young children. Not...
What Type Of SEO Is Effective?
Every business knows that it takes a huge amount of time and money to maintain a website. However, no one...
4 Reasons to Replace Your Car’s Engine With Performance Parts
Performance parts are the best kind of upgrades you can make to a car. Performance cars have a higher price...
Maximum Power: Update Your Old House For Modern Electrical Needs
An outdated electrical system can wreak havoc on your energy bills and greatly increase your risk of structural damage. If...
Key Techniques To Learn On A First Aid Course
Introduction First aid training is an incredible qualification that can enable one to offer life saving assistance in an emergency....
Best Tips For Managing Your Building and Construction Projects
Building and construction projects consist of many tasks, from job-site duties to office paperwork. Juggling it all can oftentimes be...
Tech6 years ago
Creating An e-Commerce Website
Tech6 years ago
Design Template Guidelines For Mobile Apps
Business6 years ago
The Key Types Of Brochure Printing Services
Travel9 years ago
Who Else Wants Also Nfl Hat
General6 years ago
Kobe Bryant With His Unique Nba Jerseys
Tech7 years ago
Why Small Businesses Can't Ignore Mobile Technology
Tech6 years ago
Climb Google Using These Checklists
Health8 years ago
Health Supplements For Sports Activities Nutrition