The more we use our cars over the years, the faster the parts wear out. Even though we have to deal with repairing the exterior on a regular basis, we sometimes have to work on the inside as well. Leather steering wheels are one of these repairs. It can feel like a huge burden having to repair one, but it certainly can be done at home. Instead of going out to get a new one, you can get just as much accomplished by following these few simple steps.
1. The first step for repairing your leather steering wheel is to spread a large plastic sheet underneath it and over everything in the surrounding area to prevent any unwanted spills or messes. This job does require some use of messy materials, so it’s a good idea to protect the rest of your interior area.
2. In a small spray bottle, mix together 2 ounces of each of the following ingredients: acetone, ammonia, rubbing alcohol and water. This solution will be able to deep clean your steering wheel and prepare it for its new layer later on. Before spraying the mixture, mix it up really well so that it blends enough all together. Then spray the mixture all over the leather steering wheel.
3. Next, rub the solution deeply into the leather with a plastic scouring pad. The purpose of this is to get rid of all the excess dirt, grime and oil. You should be able to notice that it’s starting to work within minutes. Either way, give it a very thorough scrubbing as you will want it to last you for quite some time without having to do this again in the near future.
4. Now it is time to let the wheel dry for a little bit. While it’s doing that, look for any small holes on any part of the steering wheel. Take note of each one that you find, and if they happen to be smaller than your thumbnail it will be easy to repair them during this same process.
5. Once the steering wheel is completely dry, go ahead and fill each hole with some gel super glue. Then arrange the loose leather fibers and pull them over the glue so that they stick and are somewhat secure over the area. Make sure that each one is in contact with the glue and let it dry. Then take some sandpaper and sand down all the surrounding areas around the glue sections.
6. After that, apply a water sealer over the leather and allow it to completely dry before adding a coat of adhesion promoter. By doing these steps, it allows the steering wheel’s leather to absorb and keep the dye in a much more solid state. Needless to say that this is a very important step and it shouldn’t be forgotten.
7. Next, completely coat and cover the steering wheel with the automotive leather dye spray. In order to get the best finish in the end, it may be necessary to apply the leather dye more than once. So give it as many layers and coats that you see fit until you get the desired shade you want.
8. Finally, you will have to spray on a layer of satin finish clear coat all over the area that has the dye on it. This is the finish touch and will complete the process. However, you must let everything be dry to the touch before removing the protective plastic and be able to drive your car again.
Written by Marc Laferierre, owner of Dents Unlimited. Dents Unlimited offers the best auto repair Columbia MO has to offer!
Simple Ways To Feel More Confident At The Gym
If you are new to the gym, or you haven’t been in a while, sometimes you might not feel completely...
Can You Use Residential Property for Commercial Use
Having extra income, constantly flowing in can make all the difference in the current economy. Getting creative with how you...
Running a Business? How to Minimize Supply Chain Issues
Supply chain issues have always been an issue for businesses but over the last few years, the effect and widespread...
How to Increase Your House Value Before Selling
Increasing home value is the first step to making your place more attractive for future buyers. Whether you are trying...
Why Calorie Control Is Still The Best Way To Diet
There are a great deal of different options when it comes to dieting, every day there seems to be a...
The Benefits Of Trade Credit Insurance For Your Business
Trade credit insurance provides cover for businesses who trade on a credit basis. If the people who owe money for...
5 Charming Restaurant Decor Ideas In 2022
Making your restaurant memorable and stand out is a feat worthy of praise. The sheer pressure of wanting to succeed...
Bank Won’t Fund Your Business? 4 Loan Alternatives To Get You Started
Businesses typically require some sort of collateral or proof of concept before funding their business venture. However, it is possible...
Planning A Stag Do
If you’re a Best Man then you’re in a unique position of responsibility, and before the day itself when you’ll...
What Triggers Eczema | Tips to Reduce Eczema Flare-Ups
Eczema is a skin condition that can induce redness, itchiness, and skin inflammation. Its root cause is not fully understood,...
Women’s Fashion Trends To Expect In 2022
A new year means new fashion trends. We cannot wait for what is in store in 2022. It seems that...
Home Makeover Trends: Insights from The Pros
Are you considering a home makeover but don’t know where to start? You’re in luck! In this article, we will...
Interior Design Trends 2022
We all spend time pining over other people’s interior’s on Pinterest or Instagram, but with these trends, it’s easy to...
Top Commonly Overlooked Car Maintenance and Repairs
Maintaining a car is a huge responsibility. There’s a lot that goes into that given how complicated a machine it...
What Is The Difference Between Strata and Property Manager
Real estate is a diverse market, and as such, it can be hard to determine the differences between various types...
Tech7 years ago
Creating An e-Commerce Website
Tech7 years ago
Design Template Guidelines For Mobile Apps
Business6 years ago
The Key Types Of Brochure Printing Services
Business2 years ago
What Is AdsSupply? A Comprehensive Review
Travel10 years ago
Who Else Wants Also Nfl Hat
General7 years ago
Kobe Bryant With His Unique Nba Jerseys
Tech8 years ago
Why Small Businesses Can't Ignore Mobile Technology
Tech7 years ago
Climb Google Using These Checklists