The more we use our cars over the years, the faster the parts wear out. Even though we have to deal with repairing the exterior on a regular basis, we sometimes have to work on the inside as well. Leather steering wheels are one of these repairs. It can feel like a huge burden having to repair one, but it certainly can be done at home. Instead of going out to get a new one, you can get just as much accomplished by following these few simple steps.
1. The first step for repairing your leather steering wheel is to spread a large plastic sheet underneath it and over everything in the surrounding area to prevent any unwanted spills or messes. This job does require some use of messy materials, so it’s a good idea to protect the rest of your interior area.
2. In a small spray bottle, mix together 2 ounces of each of the following ingredients: acetone, ammonia, rubbing alcohol and water. This solution will be able to deep clean your steering wheel and prepare it for its new layer later on. Before spraying the mixture, mix it up really well so that it blends enough all together. Then spray the mixture all over the leather steering wheel.
3. Next, rub the solution deeply into the leather with a plastic scouring pad. The purpose of this is to get rid of all the excess dirt, grime and oil. You should be able to notice that it’s starting to work within minutes. Either way, give it a very thorough scrubbing as you will want it to last you for quite some time without having to do this again in the near future.
4. Now it is time to let the wheel dry for a little bit. While it’s doing that, look for any small holes on any part of the steering wheel. Take note of each one that you find, and if they happen to be smaller than your thumbnail it will be easy to repair them during this same process.
5. Once the steering wheel is completely dry, go ahead and fill each hole with some gel super glue. Then arrange the loose leather fibers and pull them over the glue so that they stick and are somewhat secure over the area. Make sure that each one is in contact with the glue and let it dry. Then take some sandpaper and sand down all the surrounding areas around the glue sections.
6. After that, apply a water sealer over the leather and allow it to completely dry before adding a coat of adhesion promoter. By doing these steps, it allows the steering wheel’s leather to absorb and keep the dye in a much more solid state. Needless to say that this is a very important step and it shouldn’t be forgotten.
7. Next, completely coat and cover the steering wheel with the automotive leather dye spray. In order to get the best finish in the end, it may be necessary to apply the leather dye more than once. So give it as many layers and coats that you see fit until you get the desired shade you want.
8. Finally, you will have to spray on a layer of satin finish clear coat all over the area that has the dye on it. This is the finish touch and will complete the process. However, you must let everything be dry to the touch before removing the protective plastic and be able to drive your car again.
Written by Marc Laferierre, owner of Dents Unlimited. Dents Unlimited offers the best auto repair Columbia MO has to offer!
The Pro’s and Con’s of Chemical Peels
A chemical peel is a non-surgical cosmetic procedure that resurfaces the skin to give it a refreshed, soft and smooth...
Street Vs. Skate Trends
Streetwear is a massive global trend that’s origin comes from skate styles that have been altered. Streetwear is everyday clothing...
Luxury Autumn/Winter Design Trends for 2020
It’s been quite a year in 2020 and what that was definitely unexpected. Summer hasn’t exactly been what we’ve been...
Reasons Why Men and Women Undergo Eyelid Surgery
As the skin ages, the muscles supporting our eyelids weaken and gradually loses their elasticity, which is likely to cause...
5 Link Building Strategies You Can Apply For Local SEO
It is common for business owners to aim for an increase in sales and revenue. This also explains why many...
Top mCommerce Development Company In India
The current pandemic of COVID-19 has made us realize the need for mobile applications for our business. In today’s time,...
Why Localization Testing Is Becoming Necessary For Applications
Many organizations are trying to expand beyond the local boundaries and move towards globalization. Finding relevant customer base, setting up...
Online Job Ideas to Earn Money As A Student or Unemployed Person beyond COVID19
Many students and unemployed people are searching online about the ways to make money online in various countries. After the...
Health Informatics – The Strong Future of Healthcare
“The art of medicine consists of amusing the patient while nature cures the disease.” – Voltaire Check across any industry...
Is Your Small Business Ready For Its 2020 Budget?
A small business may not be able to take on large corporations in terms of figures on the paper, but...
Garden Shed Buying Guide
Are you searching for the best and attractive solution for storing the extra items of the house? Do you also...
6 Most Common Gynaecology Surgeries and Procedures
Have you been advised by your Singapore gynaecologist that to further examine a GYN problem, you need a procedure? You...
3 Keys If You Want to Look Better
Are you generally happy with your look these days? In the event you said no, what steps can you take...
What Can You Do to Strengthen Your Business?
Operating a business means you have a lot of weight on your shoulders to say the least. With that in...
Should You Buy Real Estate At The End Of 2020
Experts analyzed the prospects and possible scenarios for the development of events. Residents of the US are warned about the...
- Tech5 years ago
Creating An e-Commerce Website
- Tech5 years ago
Design Template Guidelines For Mobile Apps
- Business5 years ago
The Key Types Of Brochure Printing Services
- Travel8 years ago
Who Else Wants Also Nfl Hat
- General5 years ago
Kobe Bryant With His Unique Nba Jerseys
- Tech5 years ago
Climb Google Using These Checklists
- Tech6 years ago
Why Small Businesses Can't Ignore Mobile Technology
- Health7 years ago
Health Supplements For Sports Activities Nutrition