Wintry weather covers the landscape in a beautiful layer of white, but it also brings a hazard to pavement, the very same roads you must travel on daily. Staying indoor briefly following a major storm allows road crews to complete their work, but at some point you’ll have to take to the road again. Patchy roads, road salt, and black ice are among the hazards waiting you — here’s how to avoid traffic accidents this winter.
1. Prepare your car. Do your part to ensure that your car is ready regardless of the season. In winter, your antifreeze should be clean and topped off. All hoses must be inspected to ensure that they aren’t bulging or breaking. Check the connection clamps too. Use washer fluid especially made for winter weather, with a low freeze point. Ensure that the wiper blades are in excellent condition. Carry an ice scraper with you.
2. Check your tires. All-season tires may be sufficient in most areas of the country, but if you’re subject to frequent snows, then only winter tires or radial tires with chains are sufficient. Place winter tires on all four corners for the best traction. Do likewise with chains if you prefer to use them instead. Always ensure that your tires are properly inflated and have enough tread left. Worn tires should be discarded and replaced.
3. Inspect the battery. Your car’s battery will not directly influence whether you have a traffic accident or not, but it will definitely impact whether you are able to start your car in the first place. Have your battery tested to ensure that it has enough power to survive the winter. Also check the connection points and terminals, cleaning same as needed. If wires are frayed or broken, replace same. Cold weather can sap the life out of your battery, especially if it is weak to begin with.
4. Take it easy. Never assume that cleared roads are entirely safe roads. The hazard you encounter may be the one you never see coming. Black ice is clear ice and is not generally visible to the eye. If you encounter black ice, steering may be impossible and you could lose control of your car. Lower your speed in unsafe conditions, allow for extra braking time, and gradually accelerate when turning corners. If you begin to skid, slowly tap the brakes as you maintain control of the steering wheel.
5. Follow your area’s road warnings. A heavy snow hits and the governor declares a state of emergency. Schools are closed, business is curtailed, and the state has asked drivers to stay off the road for now. Follow these instructions and you’ll give road crews time to get their work done. Once the “all clear” announcement has been given, then you may return to the roads, with caution.
Accidents and Preparation
Do your best and you may still get in a traffic accident. If that happens, ensure that everyone is safe, then call for help. Try to move off to the side of the road, if possible. Activate your emergency flashers and warn other drivers, using emergency reflective triangles or flares, as needed. Exchange driver’s license, registration, and insurance information with the other driver. If your car is incapacitated, call for road service. Obtain a copy of the police report and send a copy to your insurance company.
Drivers can also employ another important measure before taking to the road this winter. Specifically, that would be to bring along an emergency kit, one containing jumper cables, warning flares, tools, a flashlight, and a first-aid kit. A shovel can certainly come in handy, especially if you find yourself stuck in a berm.
Should you find yourself in an accident, you’ll need to look for a body shop to handle the repairs notes Caliber Collision. Here, you should obtain estimates from three shops, compare all three, then choose the shop best suited to handle the work.
What Are the Different Wedding Photography Styles?
In wedding photography, the main focus is on the wedding couple. After all, the whole event revolves around these two...
7 Reasons Why You Need to Hire a Professional for Your Video Marketing Campaign
Benefits of Video Production Companies Did you know that companies using video content experience a 41% increase in traffic through...
Examining 5 Latest Trends in Packing Design
Businesses that don’t carefully plan their packaging design are setting themselves up for failure. All of the trends in packing...
5 Contractors Every Homeowner Should Have on Speed Dial
Being a homeowner or a landlord are particularly responsible tasks. There are many things that can go wrong but these...
How does Blockchain Help to Enhance Security for your Business?
Blockchain technology has been associated with cryptocurrencies for the most part. But it plays such an essential role in cybersecurity...
Comparium : Automated Website Testing Tool
Nowadays, growing an online business is not an easy task due to the higher competitors available in the market. You...
Seven Awesome Family-Friendly Places to Visit This 2020
Family trips should be an annual thing, don’t you agree? It’s during those moments that we make the best memories....
How to choose the perfect tungsten wedding band
Rings are important for every wedding. That’s how they symbolize the promise that people make to stay together forever. You...
10 Basic Sketching Techniques For Beginners
Lacking the gravitas as that of oil paints, pencil may not seem a showy artistic medium to many. However, if...
2020 CRM Brings Must-Have Trends for Retailers
There is no end to customer’s expectations. If you are already providing a premium product, they will expect from you...
FitGirl: Games for Re-repacking
So after you have a game’s introduction documents, you have numerous different parts that everyone probably won’t need. You’ll have...
Hоw tо Kеер Antѕ Out оf Yоur Kitсhеn
Dо уоu hаvе аntѕ in уоur kitсhеn? Antѕ аrе thе #1 Pеѕt in thе Australia ассоrding tо multiрlе ѕurvеуѕ. And...
Benefits of using mobile apps in your business organization
As we know the technology sector is at its peak this time, they are coming up with so many advancements...
7 Ways to Make UX Shine in 2020
UX is a crucial component of modern web design, and users’ expectations are constantly shifting. Though we cannot see into...
Now Selling Services Is Super Easy From Your WordPress Website
If you are in a profession that sells any sort of services offline, then this article can be really beneficial...
- Tech5 years ago
Creating An e-Commerce Website
- Tech5 years ago
Design Template Guidelines For Mobile Apps
- Business4 years ago
The Key Types Of Brochure Printing Services
- Travel8 years ago
Who Else Wants Also Nfl Hat
- General5 years ago
Kobe Bryant With His Unique Nba Jerseys
- Tech5 years ago
Climb Google Using These Checklists
- Tech6 years ago
Why Small Businesses Can't Ignore Mobile Technology
- Health6 years ago
Health Supplements For Sports Activities Nutrition