Wintry weather covers the landscape in a beautiful layer of white, but it also brings a hazard to pavement, the very same roads you must travel on daily. Staying indoor briefly following a major storm allows road crews to complete their work, but at some point you’ll have to take to the road again. Patchy roads, road salt, and black ice are among the hazards waiting you — here’s how to avoid traffic accidents this winter.
1. Prepare your car. Do your part to ensure that your car is ready regardless of the season. In winter, your antifreeze should be clean and topped off. All hoses must be inspected to ensure that they aren’t bulging or breaking. Check the connection clamps too. Use washer fluid especially made for winter weather, with a low freeze point. Ensure that the wiper blades are in excellent condition. Carry an ice scraper with you.
2. Check your tires. All-season tires may be sufficient in most areas of the country, but if you’re subject to frequent snows, then only winter tires or radial tires with chains are sufficient. Place winter tires on all four corners for the best traction. Do likewise with chains if you prefer to use them instead. Always ensure that your tires are properly inflated and have enough tread left. Worn tires should be discarded and replaced.
3. Inspect the battery. Your car’s battery will not directly influence whether you have a traffic accident or not, but it will definitely impact whether you are able to start your car in the first place. Have your battery tested to ensure that it has enough power to survive the winter. Also check the connection points and terminals, cleaning same as needed. If wires are frayed or broken, replace same. Cold weather can sap the life out of your battery, especially if it is weak to begin with.
4. Take it easy. Never assume that cleared roads are entirely safe roads. The hazard you encounter may be the one you never see coming. Black ice is clear ice and is not generally visible to the eye. If you encounter black ice, steering may be impossible and you could lose control of your car. Lower your speed in unsafe conditions, allow for extra braking time, and gradually accelerate when turning corners. If you begin to skid, slowly tap the brakes as you maintain control of the steering wheel.
5. Follow your area’s road warnings. A heavy snow hits and the governor declares a state of emergency. Schools are closed, business is curtailed, and the state has asked drivers to stay off the road for now. Follow these instructions and you’ll give road crews time to get their work done. Once the “all clear” announcement has been given, then you may return to the roads, with caution.
Accidents and Preparation
Do your best and you may still get in a traffic accident. If that happens, ensure that everyone is safe, then call for help. Try to move off to the side of the road, if possible. Activate your emergency flashers and warn other drivers, using emergency reflective triangles or flares, as needed. Exchange driver’s license, registration, and insurance information with the other driver. If your car is incapacitated, call for road service. Obtain a copy of the police report and send a copy to your insurance company.
Drivers can also employ another important measure before taking to the road this winter. Specifically, that would be to bring along an emergency kit, one containing jumper cables, warning flares, tools, a flashlight, and a first-aid kit. A shovel can certainly come in handy, especially if you find yourself stuck in a berm.
Should you find yourself in an accident, you’ll need to look for a body shop to handle the repairs notes Caliber Collision. Here, you should obtain estimates from three shops, compare all three, then choose the shop best suited to handle the work.
Should You Buy Real Estate At The End Of 2020
Experts analyzed the prospects and possible scenarios for the development of events. Residents of the US are warned about the...
How To Be A Confident Person
Attractive, confident, funny, charismatic. These are some characteristics that define an alpha individual. While we all know what the goal...
Why Do Cats Get Diarrhea?
If you’re a pet owner, then you’ll know that one of the most common problems you need to deal with...
Common Reasons For Visiting An Orthopaedic Surgeon
Have you suffered regular knee or back pain? Do you feel tired or stiff for a long time after resting...
Best Wholesale Beauty Product Suppliers In 2020
Beauty products include a range of goods that are used to care and enhance the appearance of your face, hair,...
Big Things A Digital Marketing Business Conducts
The customary word “ad” is defined as a communication procedure between the group of onlookers and the imminent business moving...
International Shipping In A Global Pandemic
The Covid-19 pandemic completely turned the world on its head, in more ways than one. Beyond the devastating medical challenges,...
8 Ways To Reduce Stoke Risk
Stroke is the fifth leading cause of death in the United States. To help you understand how severe and common...
Top Whey Protein Recipes To Lose Your Body Fat
Losing weight and keeping the kilos off is not an easy thing to do. Everything from what you consume to...
5 Amazing SEO Tools to Spy On Your Competitor’s Website
So, you’re running an online business, and you surely want your business to get the best results. But, there are...
Keep .eu Domain After Brexit
Domains are becoming as essential as someone’s own home in the world of internet. Internet users are always looking for...
How To Use Apple Cider Vinegar With Mother To Maximize The Health Benefits
Apple cider vinegar is used in many different household chores like floor washing, cleaning, doing dishes, vegetables and fruits washing,...
8 Tips from Dermatologists For Gorgeous Skin
We all wish of a flawless and glowing skin, but it’s not always easy to figure out the skin care...
Uterine Fibroids: What Are Its Causes, Symptoms, and Treatments?
Uterine Fibroids are non-cancerous tumors that develops in a woman’s uterus. They are also called leiomyomas or myomas and appear...
Electric Stove or Gas Stove? Which One is Better?
While remodeling your kitchen to include some kitchen essentials or buying a whole new house, you might be comparing electric...
- Tech5 years ago
Creating An e-Commerce Website
- Tech5 years ago
Design Template Guidelines For Mobile Apps
- Business5 years ago
The Key Types Of Brochure Printing Services
- Travel8 years ago
Who Else Wants Also Nfl Hat
- General5 years ago
Kobe Bryant With His Unique Nba Jerseys
- Tech5 years ago
Climb Google Using These Checklists
- Tech6 years ago
Why Small Businesses Can't Ignore Mobile Technology
- Health7 years ago
Health Supplements For Sports Activities Nutrition