Reference data, which is data retained for referential purposes, is one of the fastest growing data types currently available. In fact, according to SearchStorage, reference data is increasing at a compound annual growth rate of 92 percent. Reference data can include any type of valuable reference information, including surveillance information, medical records, historical documents, images of checks, presentations, emails, contracts and more. Because this type of data is inherently different from traditional data, storage and management strategies must be different as well.
What to keep
Saving all of the reference data a business encounters is a waste of resources, and it makes organization difficult. That being said, experts caution against keeping too little data, since businesses can’t be certain of what the future holds. To determine what reference data to keep, businesses should consider what type of questions they will most likely need to answer in the future. If the business can see any potential use for a given document, it should not be discarded.
How to Store Reference Data
When storing reference data, businesses can choose between cloud storage and in-house data infrastructures. With an in-house data storage system, the business maintains all of its reference data using its own resources. Cloud storage, on the other hand, involves outsourcing data storage and maintenance to a third-party provider and accessing it via the Internet. Both of these options have distinct advantages and disadvantages.
Cloud Storage Pros:
- Cost effectiveness. Cloud storage hosting is considerably less expensive than in-house alternatives. When a business stores reference data in the cloud, it doesn’t need to purchase expensive hardware and software programs, nor does it need to employ a large IT staff to maintain the system.
- Scalability. Cloud storage can be scaled up or down to meet the needs of a business at any given time. This means that the company will pay for only the storage it uses, and the company can alter the amount of space used as needed.
- Reliability. Because a third-party provider manages the cloud storage system, businesses don’t need to worry as much about system failures, especially if the provider offers 24/7 customer service.
In-house Storage Pros:
- Security. Because in-house storage systems don’t typically involve the internet, there are inherent fewer security risks. This can be an especially helpful feature if a business stores sensitive data, such as customer social security numbers or medical information.
- Control. Storing reference data in-house allows the business to have more control over how it is organized and who can access it.
- Protection from loss. When a business stores data in the cloud, the business relies on the cloud storage provider to protect data through regular back-ups and server maintenance. However, when cloud providers go out of business or experience unexpected server failures, important data may be lost. Storing data in-house eliminates this concern.
Because reference data can be so important to a business’s future, companies must store and manage it carefully. To get the most out of reference data, businesses need a clear data collection and maintenance strategy that includes a plan for selecting important reference data, as well as a viable storage and organization system.
What Do Business Consultants Do?
Business consultants can be a huge help to your business – or a big expense that doesn’t give you the...
Careers You Can Start Without A 4-Year Degree and Benefits Of A Degree
Among Baby Boomers and members of the Greatest Generation who got to get a college degree, career success and high...
3 Improvements To Add To Your Home
If you are getting a little bored of your home, you should start looking at things that you can do...
Rebuilding Your Life After A Personal Injury Incident
After you have suffered a life-altering experience following a personal injury incident, you will begin the process of rebuilding your...
Best Ways to Improve Your Career
Working on improving yourself is a continuous process. One that chisels you to perfection every time you do it. It...
New to Golfing? 4 Etiquette Tips You Need to Know
Golf is a sport that is governed by some very specific etiquette rules. If you are just taking up golf,...
How to Manage Scoliosis In Adult Period
We always start thinking about our health, and the importance of it, once something goes wrong. When that inevitably happens,...
Simple Ways To Stay Warm This Winter
You shouldn’t have to compromise on style for warmth, which is why we have put together this guide on how...
Staying On Schedule When Traveling With Family
There is a lot of planning that goes into traveling with your family, especially if you are trying to stick...
Do You Need A Lawyer When Filing For Divorce?
Since divorce is a relatively common legal proceeding, some couples opt for a DIY approach. They decide to download the...
Unique First Home Gifts For Your Loved Ones
If one of your loved ones is moving into their first home, we have the perfect gifts for you. Each...
Should Your Business Offer International Shipping?
In today’s world, many businesses have the opportunity to reach a global audience and find new ways to grow. But,...
Why Isn’t Your Company Website Seeing Traffic?
Are you hooked? Do you check your website’s Google Analytics frequently, only to be disappointed every time you see it? ...
Resources and Assistance For The Parents Of Children With Autism
Raising a child with autism can be a challenge. For most neurotypical people (i.e., those who do not have autism),...
How to Improve Your Company Parking Lot Safety For Your Employees
When your workers park in the corporate lot, you want them to feel comfortable and protected. Your staff shouldn’t have...
Tech7 years ago
Creating An e-Commerce Website
Tech7 years ago
Design Template Guidelines For Mobile Apps
Business6 years ago
The Key Types Of Brochure Printing Services
Travel10 years ago
Who Else Wants Also Nfl Hat
General7 years ago
Kobe Bryant With His Unique Nba Jerseys
Tech8 years ago
Why Small Businesses Can't Ignore Mobile Technology
Tech7 years ago
Climb Google Using These Checklists
Health8 years ago
Health Supplements For Sports Activities Nutrition