Commercial towing services come into play when big vehicles are involved in the road mishaps. The commercial towing services are able to offer the light and heavy-duty towing services. After a road accident there is the need to clear the road especially if the accidents involved the big rigs, the loaded trailers, tankers and motor homes or other big vehicles. These crashes will require additional road closures that will help clear and clean the spilled product, glass and the debris left behind. As the vehicle owner you would want the matter to be handled with the least amount of loses for your company.
EQUIPMENT USED BY THE COMMERCIAL TOWING COMPANIES
The commercial towing companies come in handy when removing the vehicles that are in a scene of accident or are blocking the road using the appropriate equipment best for the job. Some of the most common types of towing equipment include the following
- Boom trucks feature an adjustable boom in the places where the tow truck is not able to safely back up. A great example is when the vehicle in question is stuck in a ditch or even plowed over an embankment then the boom, which is what will pull it to safety.
- The hook and the chain trucks, which are also known as the sling or the belt lift trucks. The chains are looped around the axle along which the boom winch positions the car so that it can be towed on the other axle. This type of device can easily destroy the drive train on the front wheel of the vehicle or even scratch bumpers but they are still in use when towing the vehicles that are missing wheels or that may have the steel umbers.
- The wheel lifts are the modern versions of the hook and chain during towing and they use a metal yoke that is cable to cradle the front or the rear wheels and pneumatically or through hydraulically means hoist the vehicle above ground for easy towing. It does not connect with the axle as in the case of the hook and chain but instead connects to the front wheels on the front wheel drive cars and the rear wheels on the rear wheel drive units. This device can also be referred to as the spectacle lift because of its appearance. It is said to resemble a pair if squared glasses.
- The flat bed trucks have been made to have a flat surface or a bed that is hydraulically made to incline or lowers to the ground so that the vehicle that needs to be towed is winched or driven onto it for the removal from the scene. This kind of approach can be referred to as a rollback or a slide.
- An integrated truck also called the self-loader is often used in the repo operations and in the removal of the vehicles that have been parked illegally. It incorporated the boom and the wheel lift approach and can be able to negotiate the hooking up if a vehicle from the inside the rescue vehicle without the driver having reason to exit it.
Some of the other towing units will combine some or many of these features so as to extract the damaged vehicles from any type of situation. As part of the process of the recovery the commercial towing company will also assist in the clean up and when the damaged vehicle is drivable it can provide the rollover and load shift services so as to get the vehicle upright and to help in the redistribution of the load for the safe driving. The companies have trained drivers and the equipment and the expertise and permits that are needed to perform the light, medium and the heavy duty hauling.
Written by the staff of Tiger Towing in Columbia, MO.